Thread: Hole Saws

Hole Saws

Anyone here have experience with Lenox hole saws? My Craftsman steel hole saws are too dull to cut water and I need replacements. The only other brands we have around here are Greenlee, which only come in sets and Lenox which come in sets or openstock. Most of what I'm cutting is cedar and pine.
    Thanks
    James

Lennox makes good hole saws but like most manufacturers they make a couple different grades. I'd suggest you skip the ones at the borg and try and electrical supply house.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have a couple Lennox, and they seem like good quality. About 30 years ago I got started with Milwaukee hole saws buying as I needed them. I still have & use these same Milwaukee. However when I found I was in serious need for quality hole saws for my work I started buying Starrett. I have not been displeased. I have found once I got over the sticker shock with Starrett tools the quality has always brought me back again and again. I purchased these over several years via eBay from 5/8" to 6".

One tip; Starrett makes a "Whoops bit" that replaces the 1/4" pilot bit. This allows you to use the exsisting smaller hole as a pilot for the large hole. I special ordered it from A & I, I believe McFeely's is now stocking it.
    Life is just a series of projects.........

Lenox makes good hole saws, and good blades in general. I have about a dozen, up to 6". I routinely drill through double thickness particle board with them on installations, and they just keep coming back for more. They are my first choice when buying hole saws.
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I guess that all depends on how many holes you'll be cutting and what you're using it on. Pine and cedar is pretty soft so no problem there. The Lenox hole saws are good and will last you pretty long if you're cutting pine and cedar. I used the cheap hole saws a couple of times because I couldn't find my Lenox and there was a difference.

Take a look at the new Bosch line of holes saws.
    They are set up with snaplock on -off. No more screwing them on, can't get them screwed off.
    Set runs around 80.00

No problems with the Lenox hole saws. Very good product.
    I frequently use mine on structural steel, run them at low rpm (250), use lots of cutting oil & they hold up great.

Ed

Gotta agree with....

the Bosch bimetal. Snap together, and are good.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Take a look at the new Bosch line of holes saws.
    They are set up with snaplock on -off. No more screwing them on, can't get them screwed off.
    Set runs around 80.00
    On the small hole sizes that screw on only, get a short piece of 1/16 diameter solder & sandwich it between the saw & arbor flange.
    The hole saw will tighten up & compress the solder, but allow it to be removed easily.
    I didn't believe it until I saw a friend do it with a 10" diamond coring bit.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie
    On the small hole sizes that screw on only, get a short piece of 1/16 diameter solder & sandwich it between the saw & arbor flange.
    The hole saw will tighten up & compress the solder, but allow it to be removed easily.
    I didn't believe it until I saw a friend do it with a 10" diamond coring bit.

Ed
    Great idea!!
    But I've already pitched my old screw on's

Can anyone comment on the quality of Bosch vs. Lenox?
    Is the standard BI-metal type sufficient for average woodworking applications?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Can anyone comment on the quality of Bosch vs. Lenox?
    Is the standard BI-metal type sufficient for average woodworking applications?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
    Had my lenox for years, mainly installing cabinets, drain, water pipes, etc.
    Finally dulled a couple of them.

Don't know how long the bosch will hold up yet. Got them a year ago last february. So far, so good.