Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions about goblets

Question questions about goblets

I have attemped making one goblet so far, and as soon as I touched my scrapers incredibly lightly to start hollowing it made that vibration noise. So when I tried again I pressed slightly harder (bad choice) and it just about spun out of the chuck, it got really off center and was bairly in it anymore. so to the question: What can I do so I can actually bore without it flying out of the chuck?? What was I doing wrong??

FYI I have the Barracuda 2 Chuck system, and the wood was probably about 6-7 in long I'm not quite sure, oh and I had not shaped it at all.
    Ben
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature indefinitely.

Firefox2 <末末 I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

Ben...........1st a question? Do you have a fast internet connection? If you do go to the Woodcraft website....under education........DIY videos....down near the end is a video by Sorby on making goblets.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

ok thanks yes I do

Firefox2 <末末 I'm not connected, just really like it, better than any other web browser I've tried

hmmm interesting... the movie opens but theres no sound Its because its a wmv which is made for windows machines and I have a mac... oh well thanks anyway

Hey Ben,

BTDT....what you need is a steady rest. Turn your piece between centers first to get it round the whole length, then turn your tennon. Install it in your chuck, and still use your tailstock to hold it. I turn the outside of the bowl first, just to where it starts down to the stem. You should only need light cuts, as you already have it round and close to the finished size. Then I put on the steady to hold it and hollow the inside of the cup. Sand inside and out...then move the steady up to the cup and turn the stem. What kind of lathe do you have? I may be able to help you out with the steady.

That's the way I turned this Cherry one recently for a wedding gift.

(edited to add pic)
    Last edited by Joe Tonich; 05-30-2006 at 9:34 PM.
    Joe
    ------------------------------------------------

Experience...is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Oscar Wilde
    .................................................. ..................

BEAUTIFUL!!! nice mix between captive ring and goblet! my lathe is an old delta division rockwell lathe... if a pic would help I can take one and post it, Let me know.
    thanks for the help
    Ben
    Wow at first I did not even noticed the rings are hooked together WOW!!! you have GOT to tell me how you managed that!

Scraper?

Hi Ben,

Am a brand new member here..

You mentioned using a scraper on the goblet bowl/cup. Just can't see, even with very light cuts, that the goblet will survive to completion. A small bowl gouge (freshly sharpened) is the way to go. Still light cuts, but they will be cuts versus torque inducing scrapes. Also, once you get to the stem, they get so touchy that a scraper could snap it.

I love turning goblets, tons of fun and satisfaction. Be careful, they are addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Thompson
    Hi Ben,

Am a brand new member here..

You mentioned using a scraper on the goblet bowl/cup. Just can't see, even with very light cuts, that the goblet will survive to completion. A small bowl gouge (freshly sharpened) is the way to go. Still light cuts, but they will be cuts versus torque inducing scrapes. Also, once you get to the stem, they get so touchy that a scraper could snap it.

I love turning goblets, tons of fun and satisfaction. Be careful, they are addicting.
    I dunno about that. I use a scraper when I turn them, and they usually survive fine. I use all my scrapers sometimes, I need em I guess. If you do use one to finish the stem, use your other hand to help support the stem. Lightly scraping using your right hand (if your righty) and supporting the wood with the other, can make a sanding free finish, which I like. I hate sanding.
    Joe

Oscar Wilde

Hey guys..........I'm a rookie turner but I've turned a couple goblets. I use a spindle gouge.......I turned the outside of the bowl first to the point where the stem takes off. Then I turn the inside of the bowl using the same spindle gouge. I then finish the inside of the bowl and the outside of the bowl. I then work on the stem.

Point is ..........I saw a video and that's what they did in the video and that's what I do..........There's more than one way to skin a cat! Use one that's safe and with which you're comfortable!
    Ken

Ken, I didn't mean I use a scraper to do the whole thing. I use a bowl gouge for the cup and stem, but use a scraper too, to clean them up. I was just saying you CAN use your scrapers if your comfortable with them. Seems like there's a stygma attached to using scrapers. They may be 'uncool' to some, but if it helps me out with the sanding, I'll grab one every time.
    Joe

Oscar Wilde

Joe...........That was my point my friend! If it's good for you....good for you! I use a scraper on my bowls and boxes. I can't wait until I find what I consider a good BOWL scraper. Right now I'm using a 1/2" round nosed scraper but I want one with a little more meat and width to it. Eventually I want to do some small hollowforms.

I was in no way arguing your technique. You are, by far, a more talented and experienced turner than I! I was just acknowledging the existance of varying methods of achieving the same results!

BTW.....how's that new tool doing? Have you used it yet?
    Ken

12. I don't know nuthin' about goblets...

I just wanted to say WELCOME to Brad from Hartselle...!!! Welcome to the creek! Hope to see some of your work soon! Make yourself at home. Lookin' forward to getting to know a little about ya.

Welcome Brad. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge.

Joe I too use a scraper on the inside of the goblet. I have a big 1 1/2" by 1/4" thick one. I use a bowl gouge to get most of the wood out of the inside of the cup and use the heavy scraper to finish the inside. I use a 1/2" spindle gouge on the outside. Then on the outside I use a skew to do the detail and finish it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I know what you mean about the chatter you get when you're hollowing the cup portion of the goblet. It seems worse with different woods and especially if you're trying to turn a tall goblet that's a foot orm ore tall. I've had it cause so much vibration that it makes the chuck work loose on the spindle. If you have a jacobs chuck that will fit in your tailstock try drilling a small hole (1/2") approximately the depth you want the cup to be. Then you can use a gouge or scraper to work from the inside of the hole outwards, cutting the side grain until you get it hollowed out. That's probably cheating by purist standards but it helps until you get more used to cutting out endgrain. A sharp gouge or a fresh burr on the scraper help too.

Also, once you get the cup portion turned, if you don't have a steady rest you can wad up a paper towel real tight and stuff it into the cup. Then bring the tail center into the wad of towel and it will steady the goblet while you turn the stem. Don't put a lot of pressure on the tailstock, just enough to keep it steady.

Firstly - Joe, I'm not "anti" scraper type. And like you also hate to sand. Its just that I find I can get a smoother final cut finish on both the cup/bowl and the stem with a gouge touched up for that final cut. A freshly sharpened scraper with the same light touch works.

To Bernie and Mark - thank you for the welcome. Will get the old dig. camera out and post some picts. Strictly an amateur and turn/woodwork as my "therapy" to get away from programming/keyboards.

Brad