Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A maple and redwood jewelry box (pic)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A maple and redwood jewelry box (pic)

At least I hope the pic shows up !

I made this from some very inexpensive, but nicely figured maple.

The top is a redwood burl that I resawed so I could use it for 2 tops! I'm a cheap guy

any comments are welcomed

Mark
    MARK

hmmmmmmmmm, no pic. another try

here's another try !!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MARK

That's a beaut Mark

Thanks for posting - figured Maple & contrasting wood boxes are some of my favorite WW'ing items. I like it - the simple clean lines let the wood speak for itself.

Question - did you put splines in the miters? I need to make a rush keepsake box & I'm thinking of just going with mitred joints to save the time of box or other joints (I'm kind of jointery impaired).

Thanks again for posting - especially since we'll probably never see another of Kevin's boxes now that he has his lathe
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Thumbs up

Wow !!! Beautiful !!! I thought Redwood was good for picnic benches.
    This is nice..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi
    here's another try !!
    Outstanding work ... nice miters.

JS

Very nice Box Mark! The wood selection is excellent, as is the design and finish. Absolutely NOTHING wrong with that work, for sure. I really like boxes, they are fun to build..............although I am not building any more since I got the Lathe...............I really don't want to make Tom look bad. On second thought............WHY NOT! I have some really nice Yellowheart and Maple glued up and just screaming to be made into a box, so this weekend........BOX IT IS! I have a couple of Slot Car Boxes to get done, but I should have time for some work of my own. Gotta get the paying work done first..........I need more goodies for the Lathes! Thanks for sharing the photo of your work, it sure is nice to look at! Maybe Tom can build something for us to look at someday...............something that ain't round, that is!

Hey I resemble that remark

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gersty
    Thanks for sharing the photo of your work, it sure is nice to look at! Maybe Tom can build something for us to look at someday...............something that ain't round, that is!
    Hey I've built flat stuff - just nothing worth posting - YET Actually I'm going to attempt a real nice box like Mark's & yours - should only take me 2 months at my usual rate of speed Hopefully it will turn out as nice.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Hi Mark! Nice job on the box. Looks like you matched the grain up on the lid & the case by possibly making a "cube", then cutting the top off. Did you groove the inside sides first to end up with a double-rabbet fitted lid?

Open the lid!!! What's inside?

Todd.

Mark, that is.....

....Fantastic! What a beautiful box! As has been said, the contrast is especially dramatic. One question.....what does the inside of the box look like?

Great job!

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi
    I'm a cheap guy
    I wouldn't label you cheap at all. SMART is more like it. That is a beautiful piece of wood and deserves to be seen on as many boxes as you can make.

Very Well Done!
    Rusty Hughes

Blog Entries

Nice wood, eveen if it was cheap.

Sometimes the best things are free or at least low cost. Good looking work. Don't be afraid to tell more of what you did like what type of finish was used etc. I'm sure the box will be liked by the recipient.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Great job Mark!

Nice contrast! Using the redwood and maple together was a great idea!

I've made my share of boxes, but none are as nice as this one.

Good job pisan'!

Dominic

There is no cost consideration when beautiful art is involved. Great job on an extremely attractive box, Mark. You've made a simple shape outstanding through use of nicely figured primary stock and a beautiful contrasting burl on the top. That's craftmanship. Thanks for sharing!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very Nice!

Mark,

Great job on that box. The woods compliment each other perfectly. I like how the simple lines of the box (especially the nice clean roundover on the edges of the top) let the figure of the wood do the talking.

Great work.

-- Mark

Mark

A man after my own heart. Boxes, Curly Maple and Burl. A great combination. Nice job, looking forward to seeing the next one.

Terry