Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10' Diameter Bowl Lathe

10' Diameter Bowl Lathe

Found this big lathe recently. As it will turn 10' dia. I don't think I have what it takes to use it, but I bet it would provide some excitement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Yup! I'll bet spinning up one of it's max potential would cause me to react the same way my wife did when downhill skiing and accidentally get on a " bump" run or something a little steeper than she was comfortable with........My wife doesn't use profanity but sometimes she had to work real hard at it.....!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Heck guys that wouldn't just sling the bowl across the room. It would sling you thru the room.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I've been thinking that I need a 10 foot bowl. Thanks for posting Keith!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I've been thinking that I need a 10 foot bowl.
    Yer gonna need to turn the Mother Of All Icecream Scoops to fill it, though.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burns
    Found this big lathe recently. As it will turn 10' dia. I don't think I have what it takes to use it, but I bet it would provide some excitement.
    It's really not that bad to use, I generally don't get tired on it until I start my second dozen bowls for the day.....
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

David Ellsworth has something similar in his studio...a Jim Thompson custom lathe...although it's capacity is 30". (Which when I consider my Stubby 750 has 30" swing inboard, it's downright scary since David's is practically one and the same with the floor and probably weighs more than my Kubota with the 'hoe attached!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was excited when I got my PM but I still haven't been able to find any wood anywhere near big enough to push the lathe. Where in the world would you find a 10' chunk of wood. And who has the crane to hoist it onto the lathe?
    "Life is a work of art designed by the one who lives it."

This would be fun to try out. Humm... a 10 ft. dia. bowl turning at 3 RPM would be a great time. I'd make about 4 heavy duty 3/4 inch bowl gouges with extra long and heavy handles. I'm in... when do we start.

I'd say you'd probably want to go with a heckuva segmented project instead of a solid turning blank...
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

10 inch bowls aren't that big. I turn them on my old Delta all the time without any problem.

Oh, that's a single ' beside the 10 not a ". Yep, that would take a little getting used to.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Thompson
    This would be fun to try out. Humm... a 10 ft. dia. bowl turning at 3 RPM would be a great time. I'd make about 4 heavy duty 3/4 inch bowl gouges with extra long and heavy handles. I'm in... when do we start.
    Doug, "10' bowl"??? How about a 10' hat??? (Wonder how many "gallons" that would convert to??? )
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Yer gonna need to turn the Mother Of All Icecream Scoops to fill it, though.
    I think Andy could do that. He's the Ice Cream Man....at least that's what Stu said...

I had to look twice, that's a ten FOOT diameter. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Overman
    Oh, that's a single ' beside the 10 not a ". Yep, that would take a little getting used to.
    Does everything scale up by a factor of 12?!? I don't think Sorby makes a 6" bowl gouge...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.