Thread: Dust collector???

Dust collector???

Some of you may know that I recently acquired a Delta Unisaw, Now I need a decent Dust collector to hold me over until I can afford a Cyclone. I'm looking in the 300 dollar range.... and I have been stumped. I see Grizzly has a 2hp bag system for about 295, and a 1hp canister system for 310... Basically all I need is a decent DC that can keep up with this saw, but I also have a "SHOP" which is an attached garage on my house. I'm just looking for some more educated opinions, like I said, I can't afford a cyclone, yet. I just need something to help a bit While I save up, and letting the saw sit idle is not an option!

Chad, here's a good review on the Delta...

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/d50-760rvu.html

I got the little brother, the AP-400 for the same reasons...something to help till I can build a bigger system.
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 05-31-2006 at 11:38 PM.

I've also been looking at DC's lately. So far, the best small shop value I've seen for the best combination of price and power is the 1 1/2 hp unit from Penn State. It comes standard with 1 micron bags and is in your price range. The other units you mentioned would have to be retrofited at extra cost in order to get the 1 micron bags.
    Doyle

Thumbs up

I've had the Griz G1029 for about 4 years and have been happy with it. I know several others who've gotten good service from it too.

http://www.epinions.com/content_148680052356
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

chad, it`s summer so save your money and open the door, hopefully by winter you`ll have saved enough to get a cyclone. the cheap units are hard to resell so you`d just be throwing that money away. 02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Ditto on what Doyle said. I've had the 1.5hp Penn State for 6 years and it works fine. After we move to GA, I'll have a larger shop and will upgrade to the 2hp Gorilla system. Might keep the PS for dedicated use on the drum sander.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

If I may insert a IMHO.

I decided to build the Bill Pentz cyclone right from the begining rather than wait and save up the money to get a ready made one. One of the uninteded benefits was learning so much about metal working, welding, time management and even a great deal of woodworking secrets gleamed right here in the Creek.

I now consider the experiance an education I would never have gotten had I simply bought a new machine.

I cant say that my way is the best. Everyone has to weigh their own expectations and decide but I can tell you you will come away with much, much more than just a cyclone dust collector.

Sorta like the Visa commercial...
    sheet metal: $80
    welder:$180
    misc supplies: $200
    information and experiance gained: Priceless

Good luck, and I agree with Todd. 'Good money after bad' if you are planning on getting a bigger machine later.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Save your money for a cyclone.. For about $400, you can build a cyclone unit.

Used rebuilt 3-5 HP motor, $100
    Jet 14" impeller $80, or Clear Vue Impeller $175
    Sheet Metal $50
    MDF $20
    Hardware $15
    Power cord/switch $50

Total: $410

Add 6"pvc pipe/fittings $100, and vent outside.

This will outsuck any $300 DC unit you can buy. With some creative engineering and scrounging, you can probably save a little more. You don't need a welder. Just use pop rivits and polyeureathane caulk.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Well you could wear a mask & use your shop vac to suck the chips out of the bottom of the Unisaw for awhile & save up for a cyclone. From everything I've read I recommend the Clear-view designed by Bill Pentz or making one as detailed on his web site. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Well, since you just want something to tide you over without spending too much...how about the Harbor Freight 2HP unit? I got mine brand new from the store for $128 with an ad from Woodworkers Journal and a 20% off coupon. It's definitely a diamond in the HF rough.

That will hold you over. You could even upgrade it with a canister and still come out ahead.

Tim

Blog Entries
    I also have the AP-400 which is a 1HP, one machine chip collector. In that role I couldn't have been happier. Due to concerns about the errant large chip hitting the aluminum impeller and causing me much grief, I added a seperator. That took the potential 650 CFM down a notch! It now works great for my planer or jointer, just not at the same time, eh?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler