Thread: WEG motors ???

WEG motors ???

Anyone know anything about WEG motors? I looked them up on the internet and really didn't find anything.

I found a rebuilt WEG 5 HP motor, with a one year warantee for $100. I plan to buy it for a dust collector. But, if it is as cheap as a Taiwan motor, I'm wondering if I'm better off buying a new one from Harbor Frieght.

??? Anyone know???

Thanks,
    Scott
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

If I remember corectly they are made in Brazil. I have a couple of 3 phase 10hp motors working on cutom machines we built at work. The ones I installed for the customer run at a VERY slow RPM and are controlled by a VF drive. This is really hard on a motor. Full amp at low speed. They have held up great so far. One machine is approx 1yr old and another is approx 6 mos old. Look for a WEG dealer, they are not expensive when new. wegelectric.com

Dwayne

Scott,

WEG is a Brazilian company that as of a few years ago produced there Europe, and in China now (that I know of). They are highly thought of generally in industry, though I have no specific experience with them. Their site is here:
    www.wegelectric.com

I think more to the point would be whether the motor shop gives you any kind of warranty. If so, I would consider a WEG over HF any day.

FWIW,
    Wes

FWIW, they're original equipment on current Delta Unisaws. I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Scott,

If I am not mistaken all Unisaws now come with Weg motors (Sorry Kent, I did not see your post before I wrote mine). I am sure a Weg motor is in mine (3 HP) and it has run great so far.

Weg is a Brazilian company started in 1961 so they have been around for a while and they have a great website here: http://www.wegelectric.com/asp/syste...oseall&C=28603

It is kind of interesting. On the left side of the page you will see "Virtual Factory Tour". Click on it and watch some of the videos. They are quite impressive. I remembered looking at the site before I jumped in and bought my Uni to see if that was what I really wanted to do or not since they were not using American made motors anymore.

If it were me, I would be much more confident in a Weg than an unknown Asian motor. Some of the Asian motors are quite good such as Grizzly uses but buying from someone like HF could lead to an inferior product I feel.

If it was rebuilt by a reputable shop it could be a great buy. At least you have a one year warantee.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 06-01-2006 at 9:55 AM.

My $0.02 worth at the risk of sounding negative it has been my experiance that almost anything from HF will last a total of a hundred days at which time their 90 day warranty is useless unless you buy the extended warranty.

I was seduced by the low low pricess only to face the reality of likewise quality.

I dont want to rant but my advice would be to get a name brand tool, motor, accessory and though that in itself is no guarantee of quality you will most likely pay that amount after buying a poor HF quality tool then going out and getting the tool you should have bought in the first place.

Only thing in my shop from HF that is still working properly are the dozen or so clamps. The $199 compressor has sprung a leak at a weld and both nail guns have had springs and parts fall off at various times during use. If I were to list all the tools HF tools that have broken I would list almost all Ive bought from them.

So, with my apologies for hogging the soap box I shall step down now.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Thanks all,

I think I'll jump on it. I couldn't find prices for new WEG motors to compare to. I wasn't sure if I was getting a good deal. It is from a local motor shop that rebuilt it, and warantees it for one year. I can't find a new 5 hp motor for under $300 delivered, so for $100, I might as well go for it. Now if I could find a good 1-1/2 HP motor for my drill press....

Thanks...

Got the motor today. The 5 hp turned out to be burnt up, but they had another WEG 3 HP come in. I ended up with a WEG 3 HP for my DC, $102 out the door. This motor is one massive bohemoth. It is 3HP, 3600 rpm, single phase. 1-1/8" shaft, and weighs a ton! Now if I can find an impeller to fit.... Hopefully this thing will last...

I was going to say that it must be some huge dust collector to need a 5 HP.