Thread: Amazon.com-Sale on Powermatic Table Saws

Amazon.com-Sale on Powermatic Table Saws

Powermatic 1791228K 64 Left Tilt with 50" Accu-Fence Table and Legs --$769.30

And

Powermatic 1791227K Model 64 10" Artisan Left Tilt Table Saw with 30" Accu-Fence System --$734.30

I stumbled on these two offers and thought they were pretty good deals. Can someone give me a run down on the Powermatic table saw reputation?

I noticed there were others who were looking for a new table saw under $1000 and thought one of these could be another option for you.

The powermatic 64 never enjoyed the same reputation as the 66, which some believe to be the best 10" cabinet saw availible. It seems about equal to most good contractors saws.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    The powermatic 64 never enjoyed the same reputation as the 66, which some believe to be the best 10" cabinet saw availible. It seems about equal to most good contractors saws.

Richard
    Thanks for the information Richard. With 167 views and no other comments, everyone must agree with you. I'll hold off on pulling the trigger on this purchase.

Thanks again...

love my powermatic 64! souped up with a delta sliding table and a forrest blade, cutting sheet goods and lumber is a snap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Brooks
    Thanks for the information Richard. With 167 views and no other comments, everyone must agree with you. I'll hold off on pulling the trigger on this purchase.

Thanks again...
    I think those are great prices on a really nice saw....is that the shipped price? I htink thats a easy trigger to pull if you are in the market for a nice CS.

A Powermatic 64A was my first table saw. Great rip fence and otherwise a good contractor saw.

However, the guard/splitter is awful. I did not use them after a my first few projects. Get a Microjig splitter if you get this saw. THe other common aftermarket splitters don't fit this model.

Hi Tim - I think Richard hit the nail on the head. It's comparable to other good Taiwanese made contractor saws like the General International, Grizzly, Bridgewood, etc, but is not in the same league as the PM66. That said, it still has the design limitations of a contractor saw....externally mounted motor that takes up space in the back and is prone to hitting things when tilted, open enclosure that makes DC difficult, and the open splayed leg base.

There are several hybrids in that price range that I think offer several advantages that address most of the limitations of a contractor saw. Better yet, if you've got 220v, you can get a cabinet saw for about $200 more.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 06-02-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....