Thread: Big Island - Kailua-Kona Coast, Buy Koa?

Big Island - Kailua-Kona Coast, Buy Koa?

Does anyone know of a good place to get some Koa (small amounts) on the Kailua-Kona coast of the big island in Hawaii? Thanks. Lars

Best advice is to give a fellow oliver head a call. Contact Chuck Hess at Hess woodworking in HI. Chuck has an awsome collection of oliver machines and does cool work. His current featured project is a set of koa kitchen cabinets.

See
    http://www.hesswoodwork.com/

for more details. This rascal snagged my 20 inch oliver model #12 jointer before I could snag it. Seriously, Chuck is an awsome woodworker and a great guy.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Best advice is to give a fellow oliver head a call. Contact Chuck Hess at Hess woodworking in HI. Chuck has an awsome collection of oliver machines and does cool work. His current featured project is a set of koa kitchen cabinets.

See

for more details. This rascal snagged my 20 inch oliver model #12 jointer before I could snag it. Seriously, Chuck is an awsome woodworker and a great guy.
    Beautiful work from beautiful machinery.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch

See

I'm going to Maui next week and plan to visit his shop. He has some wonderful machines. Loved the Koa kitchen he did. Thanks for the tip.

Rick

Brah has himself a very impressive collection of iron, Dev. Looks like he knows how to use it, too. I'll bet your right about him knowing where to get some koa.

- Vaughn

Ask about a place in Honaunau

We've been to the big island twice, and the first time (back in 2001 or so) we stayed in Honaunau, about 20 minutes south of Kona. There was a Koa wood gallery close to Honaunau on the road from Kona. I just looked at the label on a piece I bought there, and it is hard to read, but says something like 'Owami' Wood Designs. But the 'Owami' part is very hard to read.

When we were there last summer we went to another gallery in a little town north of Hilo (quite a drive from Kona, but you may go that way on a waterfall tour). This gallery is in the little town that you pass on the road to Akaka Falls. It is on the Old Mamalahoa Road, off of highway 19, just south of the town of Wailea Bay.

I didn't actually buy any wood at either of these places, but I think I remember it being available. Enjoy your time there. Truly a beautiful place!

Wood is nice but don't forget to get a bunch of coffee to bring back and freeze (yes coffee does store well)... .. Kona Coffee is worth the effort.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Try Paradise Hardwoods, just out of Kona - towards the airport.

IF you can possibly get to O'Ahu, Martin and McArthur is the largest supplier of koa in all of Hawai'i. If you get him on a slow day, John Martin will give you a tour of the shop.

Last time we were in Hawai'i we bought (and had shipped back) $1600 worth of koa.

Most of the Koa actually comes from farther North on the Big Island. There's a shortage of Koa right now so prices are high. On Oahu at Martin & MacArthur, you can expect to pay around $15bf for boards 4'. Anything longer and you're looking at $22bf. They also have a remnant bin for odd sizes and shapes at $10bf. Curly Koa will run you much higher of course. Around $45bf if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. My personal opinion. I would pay the extra for the curly Koa because it's far more beautiful than the regular Koa. Night and day difference.

What do you plan on using it for? You said small amounts but you guys on the mainland have a different definition of "small amounts" than us locals here. To you guys, a 100bf is a small amount. Are you visiting Hawaii or were you looking for a shipping source? My friend sells Koa and I can get it for $14bf for any size and even curly if I can find it in the pile. Let me know what you need and I'll try and help you out. If you're going to be on the Big Island, I'll try and find a source for you there. I have family and friends there and I'm sure they can hook you up too.
    Last edited by Lopaka Garcia; 06-02-2006 at 11:39 PM.

Lopaka, thanks for the offer, I will certainly keep it in mind.

All, I appreciate the great advice. I went South towards Kona today and tripped over Aloha Woods. They had what I would consider a great selection of native Hawaiian woods. I picked up a small amount of Koa, Macadamian and a few others. Just enough to fill a small carry on.

Since I was a typical tourist, I had my camera with me. Here are a few shots.

For future searchers, the detail is
    Aloha Woods, Inc
    73-4770 Kanalani St
    Kailua Kona HI 96740
    www.alohawoods.com

Keywords: Hawaii, Wood, Stock, Lumber, Hawaiian, Big Island
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lars you're already in the islands. I'm guessing you were on the hotel Internet when you posted this thread. That's a good find for you there at Alohawoods. I have to tell you, it looks like they have a better selection than what I've been seeing at M&M lately. You'll need to post some pic's of stuff you made out of the Koa you picked up. I hope you got the curly stuff.