Thread: Sharpening a Curved Skew on a Tormek

Sharpening a Curved Skew on a Tormek

Has anyone had any success sharpening a 1 3/8 curved (Lacer type) skew on a Tormek? I really like my Tormek and have found it to provide razor sharp tools for woodturning. But my success has been with using jigs for consistancy. I have not had much luck with free hand use (i.e. using the tool rest jig) for a large skew. Especially the curved skew. I really enjoy using the curved skew, but have yet to have needed to sharpen it (I rec'd it sharpened).

Currently my only other choice is a high speed (cheapo) grinder with a 6" alum oxide wheel.

Any help, advice, tips, guidance would be appreciated.

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the creek. That's a great question about the curved skew on the Tormek. And as usual, I don't have a clue . I have a Tormek,,, but no clue!

I'm looking forward to others here with Tormeks and clues to enlighten both of us .
    Be Blessed

George

Rick I tried the neighbors Tormek on my skew and ended up back at my $29 chinese grinder and then honing with a diamond hone. Been thinking about one but have other needs like hollowing tools first.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wize
    Has anyone had any success sharpening a 1 3/8 curved (Lacer type) skew on a Tormek? I really like my Tormek and have found it to provide razor sharp tools for woodturning. But my success has been with using jigs for consistancy. I have not had much luck with free hand use (i.e. using the tool rest jig) for a large skew. Especially the curved skew. I really enjoy using the curved skew, but have yet to have needed to sharpen it (I rec'd it sharpened).

Currently my only other choice is a high speed (cheapo) grinder with a 6" alum oxide wheel.

Any help, advice, tips, guidance would be appreciated.
    That's a big skew! Try this -- I am not sure if it will work, but it might.

If the skew will fit into the SVS-50 holder at all (it is close, I think), pop the brass pad off the clamp. Then just bring the end of the clamp against the edge of the skew. You'll have to be very careful to get it centered, since you don't have the vee blocks working for you anymore.

Big mistake most people make when sharpening skews is that they work in the horizontal mount. That is OK for maintaining an edge, once you have it perfectly dialed into your TORMEK, but for the first shaping it should be done in the vertical mount with the wheel turning into the edge. Keep your stone grader handy and use it every time it seems like the stone isn't cutting as fast as it should be.

Set your skew angle to 30 degrees, match the existing bevel angle and use the point of the blade holder as the axis of rotation for your radius. It is all in the book -- except for the part about being 1-3/8" wide.

I am just trying to imagine the results of a catch with a 1-3/8" skew.

Jeff my skew is 1 1/2" by 3/8".
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Just out of curiousity, what are you guys turning with those huge skew chisels?

I can turn anything you want. I turned the outside of a goblet with it and the stem of the goblet down to 3/8" with it. I learned how to use it watching Alan Lacer's video. Best video I think for learning how to use a skew chisel.

<A href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=35524&d=1144007124" target=_blank>
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 06-03-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    Bernie

Jeff - For me, getting comfortable with any skew was impossible until I played with a biggun like Bernie's. The longer bevel provided a catch-free safety zone. Then I worked backwards to an itty bitty 1/4" skew and all is still good with the world.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Jeff - For me, getting comfortable with any skew was impossible until I played with a biggun like Bernie's. The longer bevel provided a catch-free safety zone. Then I worked backwards to an itty bitty 1/4" skew and all is still good with the world.
    Shoot, If bigger is better? Then I'd prolly need a skew that's about 6" wide!!
    The skew is the tool I want to get better at. I've even tried turning the outside of a bowl with my 1" curved skew before. Worked pretty good until...........
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Shoot, If bigger is better? Then I'd prolly need a skew that's about 6" wide!!
    The skew is the tool I want to get better at. I've even tried turning the outside of a bowl with my 1" curved skew before. Worked pretty good until...........

I need a really big buzzer sound emoticon right here!

How's this AHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

No 1 Rule of skews is that you do not use it on a face grain mount, period no exceptions.

If someone jumps in and says, yeah, except I was using it as a scraper they're gonna get 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Skews aren't scrapers and they have no business near a lathe if you're turning a face grain mounted piece.

This rant brought to you by Keith Rowley's Woodturning, A Foundation Course and my own personal struggle with reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Farris
    I need a really big buzzer sound emoticon right here!

How's this AHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKK!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

No 1 Rule of skews is that you do not use it on a face grain mount, period no exceptions.

If someone jumps in and says, yeah, except I was using it as a scraper they're gonna get 50 lashes with a wet noodle.

Skews aren't scrapers and they have no business near a lathe if you're turning a face grain mounted piece.

This rant brought to you by Keith Rowley's Woodturning, A Foundation Course and my own personal struggle with reality.
    Actually I know of one turner who turned a bowl with a skew just to show it could be done. He co teaches with Alan Lacer in the summers. I didn't see him do it but I did see the bowl and it was nice. he also stipulated that it really isn't for the faint of heart and that a bowl gouge is a much nicer way to do a bowl. I think the real point was that there are no hard and fast rules really.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.