Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutter heads

Cutter heads

So some of us have talked about cutter heads in the past. I thought I would provide this link to a very interesting one

http://www.casadeimacchine.com/cgi/n....htm&lingua=us

hi paul
    nice link

I would love to have on in my r63 casadei planer. But I am sure the cost is going to be pretty steep

lou

Lou,
    Yes that sure is an interesting cutter head. I can not figure out if it has a long knife or not. I have also seen Schdmit makes a cutter head called SCHurecut helical but it uses the little insert knives. I can not seem to find it right now but there was another compnay out there advertising a helical head....it was in Wood Digest I think as one of the American woodworking manufactures left...
    Last edited by Paul B. Cresti; 06-03-2006 at 11:34 AM.

Interesting. I think you need to check it out further, Paul!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When my partners sent me this

http://www.canadianwoodworker.com/pr...0Planers&id=19

http://www.byrdtool.com/journals.html The head itself

I thought they were crazy. Not anymore. S2S 40,000 feet of bloodwood and never sharpen or touch the blades. Glass finish.
    Last edited by Jim King; 06-03-2006 at 3:16 PM.

spiral heads

That is one neat looking head but like Lou mentioned the price is probably to high. The add did say very low knife cost so it must be a segmented knife. Newman-Whitney has made their Quiet-Cut head for decades and it is a big hit for mills. Solid carbide knives, segmented. The smallest dia. they make is 6" and it was never meant to be finish head. Knives are sharpened in the head, even new knives are sharpened before being used. The last price I heard was 6k for the head and 6k for the grinder and you can't use the head without the grinder. It's a working set or team and one won't work without the other. One can only hope the Cas. head is reasonably priced.

Jeff Singleton

another one

Guys i found the other company I was talking about. They too seem to be offering a helical head. It is called "Helicarb" by Great Lakes Custom Tool MFG, Inc.

www.glct.com

I have attached a jpg of the add from a WMMA advertisement of All American Tool manuf.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Helicoidal Cutterhead

Paul, I just stumble across this post. I have one of these cutterheads on my Casadei FS51 Jointer/Planer. The design consists of two long knives that are disposable. The knives curl around the cutterhead similiar to a spiral router bit. The cut quality is unbelievable because the knife is shearing the wood. Another advantage is it is very quiet compared to a straight knife. To set the knives is pretty quick. You loosen the gib and push the new blade into the groove until it bottoms out in the cutter head. Takes only 15-20 minutes to change.
    "Create a Vision...then make it a reality" (Some Assembly Required)

Mike Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Palmer
    Paul, I just stumble across this post. I have one of these cutterheads on my Casadei FS51 Jointer/Planer. The design consists of two long knives that are disposable. The knives curl around the cutterhead similiar to a spiral router bit. The cut quality is unbelievable because the knife is shearing the wood. Another advantage is it is very quiet compared to a straight knife. To set the knives is pretty quick. You loosen the gib and push the new blade into the groove until it bottoms out in the cutter head. Takes only 15-20 minutes to change.
    Please post some pics of your Casadei and the cutter head! How do you insert a curved knife? I assume it is not flexible?? Do you need to set the top of the knife similar to straight knives? or is it just placed to it furthestmost bottom extent?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B. Cresti
    Please post some pics of your Casadei and the cutter head! How do you insert a curved knife? I assume it is not flexible?? Do you need to set the top of the knife similar to straight knives? or is it just placed to it furthestmost bottom extent?
    Paul I will get you some pictures later. The knives are flexible. The dimension of the knives are approx 1/16" thick by 3/8 tall by about 20-22" long. You just tap them in with a rubber mallet untill they bottom out in a groove. That's it. The height is predetermined by the blade once it is seated. As I begin tightening the gib, I usually tap as I tighten to insure that the blade is properly seated. I am not sure what the blades are made of but they last a long time even cutting exotic wood.

Mike Palmer

FS51 Pictures

Paul, attached are pictures of the machine from different angles.

Mike Palmer

FS51 Pictures - Cont.

Here is a few more.

Mike Palmer

nice machine - what vintage do you think it is?

lou

Quote Originally Posted by lou sansone
    nice machine - what vintage do you think it is?

lou

Lou, I am not sure of the exact year but I think it is in the 1985-1990 vintage. It was owned by a one man shop in PA. and I purchased it in 2002. I was told the previous owner was the original. It has been a great machine very solid and very heavy.

Mike Palmer

Mike,
    What a beast.... is it able to do horizontal mortising also? I especially like the country of origin. Those knives look real interesting. It is a (2) cutter head correct? Where do you get your knives at and roughly how much? Oh before I forget...

FORZA AZZURRI!!!!!!