Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now, help me choose some new tools

Now, help me choose some new tools

Now that the new lathe is up and running, I need to start using it. My current tool set is the 8pc HSS set from Harbor Freight which has the following: 1'' & 3/4'' roughing gouges, 1/8'' parting tool, 1/2'' & 1'' skew chisels, 1/2'' round nose scraper, 1/2" beveled scraper, 1/4'' spindle gouge. I'm going to be at Hartville Hardware soon and want to pick up a couple tools to add to the set.

I find the 1/2" spindle gouge indispensable. However, many use the round nose scrapers in place of a gouge that size. I haven't mastered large roughing gouges for trueing LARGE ROUGH pieces when starting, the 1/2" gouge gives far less catches. Whatever works for you. Good luck.

Matt I would pick up a good 1/2" spindle gouge, a 3/8" and 1/2" bowl gouge. I would also get a hefty scraper at least a 1" or 1 1/4" by 1/4" thick. These are what I use all the time with a 1/4" spindle gouge which you have.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hartville carries Sorby and Crown--I'll probably go with the latter. They carry a 1/2" bowl gouge and a 1/2" Ellsworth bowl gouge which is about $30 more. Is there any difference besides the grind? Can't the same grind be put on the less expensive tool? (I already have the Wolverine system.)

One other thing--are the dovetail scrapers worth it? Or can this be done just as easily with another tool? (Skew chisel?)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    I would also get a hefty scraper at least a 1" or 1 1/4" by 1/4" thick.
    Bernie, are you talking about a square scraper? Or a bowl scraper?

Matt ----my # 1 tool is a 1/2 bowl gouge----great place to spend money---Crown makes real good tools.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    Hartville carries Sorby and Crown--I'll probably go with the latter. They carry a 1/2" bowl gouge and a 1/2" Ellsworth bowl gouge which is about $30 more. Is there any difference besides the grind? Can't the same grind be put on the less expensive tool? (I already have the Wolverine system.)
    The flute design of the "regular" bowl gouge may be different than the specified flute design of the Ellsworth version. I have put the Ellsworth grind on a Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge and it's "close" but definitely different...and feels different when turning. I use that tool for more of the rough work and stick to my two "real" Ellsworth gouges for more critical cuts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt, this info was given to me when I was looking by a certain unamed individual who works there.... Pinnacle tools by Woodcraft and there is one near where you live. Check it out.

Matt that is a bowl scraper. I also have a square scraper for doing flat bottom boxes. Most of the tools I own are either from PSI or Pinnacle from Woodcraft. I like the pinnacles because of the long handles.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The flute design of the "regular" bowl gouge may be different than the specified flute design of the Ellsworth version. I have put the Ellsworth grind on a Sorby 1/2" bowl gouge and it's "close" but definitely different...and feels different when turning.
    Matt,
    Jim hit the nail on the head... the shape of the flute determines the shape of the grind. You can put a fingernail grind on any bowl gouge and it will be fine. Is one shape better then another... no! It's all what YOU GET USE TO. A "U" shaped flute will give you a large radius at the cutting edge and a "V" shape has a small radius. The factory grind is just a example of how the tool could be ground, over time you will develope your own grind on the tool, one that works for you. Jim got use to the Ellsworth gouge and feels comfortable using it so another tool won't have the same feel as the Ellsworth.

I have never used a Sorby or Crown bowl gouge but the flutes look about the same, both made from M2. I would remove them from the package and see what feels better to you.

I took the class from Johannes so I learned to use "V" shaped tool (Glaser) and sharpen freehand. A freehand grind will use up the steel much faster but the A-11 stays sharp quite a while. I do not suggest using a freehand grind but it only takes about 20 seconds to sharpen a tool that works for me.

I don't know if you guys ever took advantage of Jerry's replacement blades but a 3/8 dia. blade was only $35 and a 1/2 was $45. I talked to the new owner about replacement blades and lets just say those prices went out the door with Jerry. Greed is taking over.

Let us know

Tool Additions.

Matt, you have been given very good advice so far. I happen to prefer Crown over Sorby because of the shape of the handle, and maybe a bit because of the price. A good 3/8 and 1/2 inch bowl gouge will do most anything you want as long as they are sharp. You can definitely use the Wolverine to put a "swept back" grind on them similar to the Ellsworth. I have been using a variety of grinds on bowl gouges for some time now. A side(swept back) grind for the outside and a more "traditional" grind for the inside. I learned this from several skilled turners and this technique was recently reinforced by watching Jimmy Clewes' videos, since he also uses several different grinds. A good, heavy scraper will help with cleaning up bowls, getting rid of ridges and tool marks and maybe even some torn grain. Commonly, a straight end scraper is used on the outside, and a round or half-round (my preference) scraper is used inside. Scrapers are used quite differently than gouges and are generally used for very light finishing cuts. A fresh burr on the edge and proper presentaion to the wood are important.
    That 8pc HF-HSS set is a very good start. You can practice grinding different angles without messing up a single tool that cost as much as the whole set. I have reshaped several scrapers from my set to perform specific tasks.
    Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

P.S.-nice job on the restoration!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Hartville

Matt, I live about half an hour from Hartville and you will love the place. Be sure to take your wife. There is just as much stuff for women as men. They are a John Deere dealer and Stihl as well as Delta, Jet, General, and Shop Fox, Freud, Forrest and One Way chucks. The are aslo a big dealer for Carhart and Wrangler and have a big electrical, plumbing, HVAC departments. There lumber store is behind the retail store and it's okay. Plus they sell my all time favorite varnish, Vanguard V-42. It's one big hardware. Take lots of $.

Jeff Singleton

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Singleton
    Matt, I live about half an hour from Hartville and you will love the place. Be sure to take your wife.
    We've been making a trip down every year for the past few years. We usually hit the flea market in the morning, eat, then head to the hardware store. She said they added a scrapbooking section to the HW store last year.

OK, here's what I'm thinking about getting:

Crown 1/2" Spindle Gouge

Crown Ellsworth Signature Bowl Gouge - 1/2"

Sorby Curved Scraper - 3/4" or Sorby Heavy Duty Inboard Scraper -- depending on how much LOML lets me spend.

Matt, don't forget the sharpening jig for the Ellsworth gouge...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Matt, don't forget the sharpening jig for the Ellsworth gouge...
    Do I need something special over the Wolverine system?