Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cyclone Noise Level Question

I've had my Gorilla 2hp system for well over a year now. Personally, I would not go to the extra expense of enclosing it. I wear ear protection and there is no problem at all. It's a lot quieter then I thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Some time ago I saw a post where a "muffler" was built for the DC. I can't find the post now and it may have been on another forum. IIRC I think this was something put between the blower and the filter. Anyone got any details on how to make one of these and how effective they are in lieu of enclosing the entire DC?
    Doug, you can get some tips on building one on Bill Pentz's web site. Pretty good instructions there. I've heard varied results. But the main thing that seems to keep coming up is if you can baffel the filters somehow, that that helps with the noise. Most of the noise is in the exhaust through the filters, not the motor and cyclone itself. Jim Becker has a good "how to" on his web site on making a return air for the exhaust from the cyclone closet to the shop to help reduce the noise. I've often wondered if the electronic noise cancelling devices could be tuned to the right frequency range to help. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Jim(s)
    Thanks. I temporarily put my DC plans on hold until I got the shop (garage) floor epoxy painted (almost done). I'm planning on going with a ClearVue and it still looks like the probable install location will be in the rafters overhead. I'll to look on the Pentz site and find the muffler info. Anything I can do to keep the dB level down will probably be worth the effort.
    Use the fence Luke

I have a small Oneida 1.5 hp system with the muffler. I ran it for a short time without a muffler and can say that a muffler makes a big difference. I was so impressed that I added a second muffler which only slightly reduced the sound further. The muffler costs $40.02. Here's a link:http://www.oneida-air.com/products/s...ccessories.htm