Thread: Sketch-Up - First workshop tool layout models

Sketch-Up - First workshop tool layout models

Like many others, I downloaded the free Google Sketch-Up and have been having fun (and some frustrations) learning the program. We just bought our retirement home back in the US (Fenton, MI area) and there is room for a new 30 x 40 hobby building. Now it's time to start designing it in earnest. We won't be moving back for about 10 months, so there is time to get it designed on paper before starting the real thing.

I have a floor plan layout I did originally on TurboCad, but decided to start over with SU. I've been learning from all the other posts about being disciplined in creating components, and that has really helped with my drawings.

I thought I would post my first three models. The overall dimensions are accurate, although there's a lot of guess work in between. My tools are back in the US, so I've been working from manufacturer's dimensional info and pictures. It's easy to go overboard with the detail, and I have to remind myself that the tool detail isn't going to make a better shop layout. I do plan on showing the dust collection ports, so I can then do a design for the DC system later on.

I ran into two issues:
    1. Remembering to draw extra detail on a component in the 'edit component' mode. I had to back track a couple of times because I had something extra drawn, and then realized I wasn't working on the right component e.g. 'cutting' bench dog holes in the workbench top).
    2. Re-setting a component glueing point after the component had already been saved. My jointer ended up wanting to glue itself to the floor about 8" below the jointer table bed surface. I finally got it fixed, but it was a lot more trial and error than is probably required.
    Any thoughts or suggestions before I draw some more of these? Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, those tools look great. An excellent learning tool as well. FWIW and not to talk you out of drawing more tools, you might have a look at John Yurko's tools. He already did a bunch for his shop layout. He also included infeed and outfeed zones so he could avoid conflicts between tools. You can find a zip file of his tools here: http://www.sketchup.com/?sid=38

If nothing else, it might give you some ideas about how to do some of your drawing.

Another FWIW, be careful about how much detail you put into your tools. By the time you have them all drawn and installed in your shop model, the file could be incredibly large and might bog down your CPU and video card. John's tools, while not as detailed as yours, should be plenty detailed for accurate shopp layout work.

Keep up the good work.

Shop models too detailed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards
    ... you might have a look at John Yurko's tools. He already did a bunch for his shop layout...

...be careful about how much detail you put into your tools...
    Dave - thanks for the review and the comments. I had already downloaded John Yurko's files, and found them a good starting point to think about what I wanted to do.

I ran into the file size problem as soon as I started this thread. I attached the JPEG file with no problem, but the SKP file size exceeded the forum rules. No problem - I would attached the three separate model SKP files. Same problem - still too large!

So my next step is to cut back on the rest of the models, still drawing them from scratch to show my tools, but without (maybe) all the detail. At least I didn't show the various bolts, scales and logos!

Mike

John, you might consider these points as ways to reduce file size.

1. Eliminate superfluous faces. If there's a face on the bottom of the tool, erase it. Any place you have faces that can't be seen, get rid of them.

2. Reduce the number of segments used to create circles and arcs. The defaults are 24 for a circle and 12 for an arc. Cut that in half and you'll be fine. To change the number of segments select the tool and before using it type, for example, 12s for a 12 segment circle.

3. Make sure to use components when making like parts. For example, the fence rails on the TS are identical. Draw one, make it a component and copy that component. SU only has to count the geometry of one component so file size doesn't get bloated. If you draw casters for mobile bases, use the same caster component for all tools. That will help to control file size.

4 Consider using simple color changes rather than bump outs for details. Although you would add the lines for a box defining a space (panel in a cabinet door, maybe.), if you don't push the panel in to create the recess, you eliminate four faces and 8 line segments from the count.