Thread: SU-Kids Activity Table

SU-Kids Activity Table

I want to build the grandkids an activity table with some space to store crayons and paper. This is what I have come up with. The table needs to be disassembled for transport in a Blazer. By doing the table in 2 modules this will work but the only way I can think of to attach the legs is with lag bolts. Do you think this will be sturdy enough for kids 2 & 3 years old? Knowing they will climb on it at some time. Any other suggestions about the design so far? This is my 1st SU attempt.
    Desk.skp

Thanks
    Floyd

Floyd, I think I'm seeing a seam in the middle of the table top, as though you're going to build it in two parts and bolt it together on-site. That bolted-together connection will be a weak point. I'd build the top as one piece. 39"x25" should fit in your Blazer without difficulty. Heck, I'd bet you could permanently fasten the 20"-tall legs to the top, and transport the complete table in your Blazer. Permanent joinery is generally easier to build, and is generally more durable than knock-down joinery.

Jamie,

You are correct about the seam and bolting it together onsite. Yes it would fit in the Blazer in one piece but with 2 adults and 2 kids in car seats with luggage I am thinking I at least need to have the legs removable. I will give them a call and see how much room between the back seat and door. Maybe it will fit laying sideways and still get luggage in.
    BTW...SIL is stationed at Paris Island and this will be last chance to see him before he is deployed to Iraq.
    Floyd

Floyd, how about something like the attached? I took your model and changed it a bit. Also take a look at how I put the model together with components. I also used the dimension tool to apply the dimensions rather than the text tool. That makes it a possible to orbit around the model and have the dimesnions stick to the proper places.

It's not clear from the model but I was thinking of legs that bolt or screw in place, too. I drew in the bolts/screws under the table and they show attached to the inside of the apron but they'd have to be inserted after the linking bars were in place. You could use threaded inserts into blind holes in the apron and then even some sort of knob on a threaded rod as the bolts making it possible to assemble the table with no tools.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dave:

I'm curious about how you drew the legs for that table? Were they two mitered pieces or a single angled piece that you extruded with push/pull, then modified? Could you briefly describe the steps? Thanks!

Kevin, I'll do a quick step by step and post it in a new thread.

Dave

Thanks...looks a lot better than mine. I still have a lot to learn in SU. I did use components but mine do not stay on plane like yours. I will look at the dimension tool. Also I did not finish the model since I was not sure it would work. There is supposed to be a bottom on both sides and the top flips up for the crayons & paper. From the looks of your model the center pieces are attached to the top. I think the best way will be to build the desk as one piece as Jamie suggested and assemble the legs onsite. Thanks for your suggestions to me and all the others you have helped.
    Floyd

Floyd, I added a bottom and hinged top panels. Assembly is still the same.

I'm not certain what you mean about your components not "staying on plane". If you could give me some clarification I might be able to make up something that sounds smart.
    Attached Files Attached Files