Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Unisaw Gloat

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Just finished restoring one this weekend very much like yours. If you get me the serial number of the red tag on the front I can find the age for you. Your saw looks very much like mine does! Looks very complete too, the original switch is quite uncommon! What are your plans for it?

BTW there is a plastic reproduction goose egg/motor cover on Ebay this morning. Last one sold for $110 I think? If your wanting one that is the cheapest way to go. Originals are going for OVER $200.

Look for the Unisaw Restoration threads and you can see photos of mine. Email me if you need help, I am no expert but I just finished mine up.
    Cast iron reproduction goose egg covers are being made by one of the OWWM guys. Several OWWM guys including myself do make reproduction parts so that is another way to go. The goose egg cover as I recall is now handled by Ron Curry of OWWM membership and the casting is being done by Emanuel King whose family runs the Cattail Foundary in Lancaster PA. Please note that the Emanuel King is of the Amish religion so all amish rules are in tact.

The saw you have is a bullet uni. Nice score by the way. Even has the orig. switch.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Your is (most likely) a 1948 model just like mine. Judging by the serial number I am assuming your was made earlier in the year than mine was. Mine starts with 70-.

Here is a link to my source. It on the OWWM site but good luck finding it! So far I have dated all my machines except my DeWalt RAS. I haven't found any date info on them yet.

I really suggest you take the extensions off when you handle the top. I took mine off as one peice and I have the hernia to prove it! I put it back on one piece at time too.

I am envious of your dust door. Mine looks like garbage. I haven't even decided how to approach restoring it yet. Since I will probably replace it with a MDF piece with a dust port I haven't been to concerned, but it so rough!! It's going to be a job to repair.
    Rick Antobus (sp?) had some spare time to play. Since DeWalt used sequential SSN numbers with no encoding, he assembled a regresstion curve based on SSN, year and number of RAS machines made. This regression equation can be used to date your RAS with a fair degree of accuracy. Worked on my GE.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    ....The goose egg cover as I recall is now handled by Ron Curry of OWWM membership and the casting is being done by Emanuel King whose family runs the Cattail Foundary in Lancaster PA.....
    I snagged one of the last two he got. From what I understand the production is very hit and miss. He got two this time and had no idea when he would get another one.

I noticed them on the Repo Parts web site mentioned on here for $249. Kinda step if you ask me.

I have not seen Ricks list. Will have to ask him about it. But nothing on the OWWM site like that is easy to find.

Getting some good advice. Thanks to all for your comments.

Matt, Thanks for the link. I would like one of those goose egg covers but $249 is a little high. That's more than I paid for the saw. I guess since I got such a good deal on the saw, I could justify spending a little more on the restore though.

Dev, What do you mean by "bullet" uni?

Would anyone know how I could find the Model# on this saw?

Thanks.
    "If you can't fix it, feature it."
    Kevin Swindle

Don't forget the plastic one in Ebay right now!

Also old ones are going for around d$200 on Ebay when they come up. I htink $250 is going to sell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Swindle
    Jeff and Nic, based on the info at owwm I think it is a 1948 also. As for the paint on the hand wheels, it's hard to tell now if the outside rims were painted or polished. The saw was repainted a light gray at some point. The "newer" paint comes off quite easily with air to reveal the darker gray original paint.
    Hi Kevin,

It's interesting about the paint. The saw I had was the same color and also had a darker undercoat. I assumed that it was primer, but who knows. After seeing that your handwheels were painted like mine were, I figured that is what Delta did to all their Unisaws in 1948. However, as others have pointed out, I was wrong.

Anyway, enjoy the saw. It's easily the equivalent of a $1000 Craftsman hybrid and will hold it's value forever.