Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a minimum thickness on a planer?

Why is there a minimum thickness on a planer?

My Delta Jointer/Planer says not to plane stock thinner than 1/2". I want to plane stock as thin as 1/4". Is this thickness limit severe? What should I do to remedy it? Thanks for any help.

Most planers will go to 1/4" and some (the lunchbox type) will go to 1/8". The limitations are based on the mechanism of the particular machine, roller type/design as well as the need to insure that the knives cannot come in contact with any of the above.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Use double sided tape to stick the wood to another board, then plane as thin as you want.
    Scott

Adding a base to the planer bed will usually allow planing thinner material. I use a base of 3/4" melamine, cut to the width of the planer, several inches longer than the extended infeed/outfeed tables, with a cleat at the infeed end to anchor the base on the bed of the planer. I can plane to 1/8" on a Jet 12-1/2" planer with no problem.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries

Planer limits

As the others have said, most planers have a minimum height setting that prevents damage to the knives or works around physical part limits in a particular design. You can also plane thinner using sleds or double sided tape to hold you stock to a carrier board.

Just proceed with caution. Some figured areas of the wood will shatter when cut too thin, and although I've never had an damage done to the planer, it sure sounds bad and ruins a good piece of wood. Areas of grain where the grain is basically diagonal to the top and bottom surface is particularly prone to do this.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I'll carpet tape a 1/2" thick backer to the workpiece that is the same width and length. That will make it stiff enough and also push the guard out of the way.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by John Huber
    Thanks to all for your helpful replies. I'll carpet tape a 1/2" thick backer to the workpiece that is the same width and length. That will make it stiff enough and also push the guard out of the way.
    John, add a couple of small wooden stops to the outfeed end of your carrier board. Carpet tape alone might not be enough.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

This question was asked on another forum at the same time by the OP and the same thing happened. I think he's talking about a jointer, not a thickness planer.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Most planers will go to 1/4" and some (the lunchbox type) will go to 1/8". The limitations are based on the mechanism of the particular machine, roller type/design as well as the need to insure that the knives cannot come in contact with any of the above.
    What is a "lunch box" type planer?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    any planer one man can pick up and carry.....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Examples would be the Delta 22-580 and the Dewalt 735...portable planers, typically in the 12-13" width range. You can pick 'em up with two hands, although the Dewalt really requires a strong back. (And the "best" hearing protection...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    any planer one man can pick up and carry.....02 tod
    Would that include any planer that is totable by Paul Bunyon and his blue ox babe?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin
    ...I think he's talking about a jointer, not a thickness planer.
    I think you're right... he did mention pushing the guard out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Benjamin
    I think he's talking about a jointer, not a thickness planer. Bruce
    Then why has he got the question at all?
    Unless the jointer is set to take too big a bite you can joint any thickness ya please.

Confusing a planer and jointer seems to be a common thing. The funtion for both machines is similar, the jointer looks more like a hand plane than the planer, hence the confussion.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.