Thread: Porter Cable Sanding Discs

Thumbs down Porter Cable Sanding Discs

Has anyone tried Porter Cable's 5" ROS sanding discs? I picked up some 60 grit at the local big box the other day. So far, it seems to me that they are not nearly as aggressive or long lasting as they should be. Has anyone else tried them? What are your experiences?
    Last edited by Jim Baker; 09-10-2003 at 9:16 PM.
    JB

I was using the PC disks from the beginning, but recently bought a bunch 'o boxes of various grits from Klingspoor. There is a big difference in both performance and quality. Those from K are much heavier and don't seem to wear out as quickly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with Jim. I have been using the Klingspor disks on my PC 333 and am very satisfied.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

PC paper not too good.

The little that I have used PC paper, it does not last long.
    I usually stock up on Mirka brand at the KC wood show. I buy enough to get through the year usually. If I happen to run short, I buy Norton from Paxton's, my lumber supplier. Never have used the K paper.
    Steve

Jim,

I have been using mostly Norton discs and have been fairly happy with them. I did pick up a package of PC 80 grit discs somewhere and was not pleased. Won't buy anymore.

Bob

I had been using mostly Klingspor heavy-duty paper on my PC333, but I ran out once. So I grabbed some PC paper from Lowe's, thinking, "Hey, what a deal!! This stuff looks to be close to the Klingspor stuff for 1/2 the price!" I think I would be generous if I said I got a quarter of the use out of it that I get out of Klingspor. No more PC paper for me.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Here's another brand to throw into the mix, I've been using Sait with good results, long lasting. Never used the PC discs that came with the sander.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to see that I am not losing my mind. When I use these discs for initial sanding of machine marks, imperfect glue ups, etc, It seems to take forever compared to the ones I had before and the slow speed seemed to reduce even more very quickly. The paper seems to hold up fine. They just don't do anything. It's surprising that Porter Cable would put their name on something so substandard. We'll have to try to return these and get some from Klingspor.

It's nice to see the positive comments about the Norton. They are readily available at our "favorite" local big box. We have used some of them in other grits and have been pleased.
    JB