Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling All Old Lathe Owners...

Well guys,
    Thanks for all of the the help and suggestions!!! It turns out both bearings are bronze bushing bearings. One bearing is pressed into place with a threaded collar that is locked in place using set screws. The other is sandwiched between two threaded tommy collars. I took it to a local machine shop and got some help getting the thing apart. The good news is it cost me $10 and the bearings/spindle are both okay. Somehow the collar with set screw that locks the bearing in place tightened itself up and pinched the end of the bearing and washer into the spindle. I assume that the set screws weren't tight enough given that I see multiple circular marks on the threads where impacted by the moving set screw.

Do you have any ideas about what oil(s) to use? What is spindle oil and where can I find it?

Thanks,
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss
    Do you have any ideas about what oil(s) to use? What is spindle oil and where can I find it?

Thanks,
    Dick
    If it were mine I would just use what ever I had. My J-line has to have the Reeves Drive oiled and I just us 3 in1 on it. Just as long as it's slick and not to thick I think you will be fine.

Of course everyone else is going to have another opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    If it were mine I would just use what ever I had. My J-line has to have the Reeves Drive oiled and I just us 3 in1 on it. Just as long as it's slick and not to thick I think you will be fine.....
    When you lubricate a reeves drive, you are "NOT" oiling a rotating bearing......just a pulley that slides a short distance on a shaft. The bearings in Dick's lathe will see much harder use. I'm thinking that 40 wt. motor oil might do the trick; but I think I would call the local machine shop and see what they have to say. 3 in 1 oil strikes me as being too light for this application.

I am very happy this was easy to figure out. You did well.

Spindle oil is a light weight, high quality lubricant but a gallon costs about 25 to 30 bucks. Do they sell motor oil in a straight 5 or 10 weight? This will work for less money. To be honest it won't take much to keep the spindle running.

If you can't find something in your area Production tool and supply does. WWW.pts-tools.com

I'm with Curt on this. There was likely a decal on or instructions sheet with the lathe that had a lubrication schedule. Each lube point was clearly shown in a picture, didn't have to be able to read to lube the machine. Lube points marked A took one kind of lube and on a certain schedule, like once a day or once a shift put 6 drops of oil here, or something like that. Quite common on old machinery.