Thread: Painted furniture and such....

Painted furniture and such....

I talked to Todd Burch recently about the chest of drawers he had sprayed with oil base enamel. I am posting an armoire I made over 22 years ago, ( man how time flies ), in an attemp to show you what occurs, in time, to oil base enamel. The armoire is painted off white, dry brushed, and distressed. However, look at the center drawers behind the doors. You can see how it has yellowed. Same thing happens with a wall when you take down pictures. I have long been, and still am, a proponent of alkyd enamel for interior cabinets, wood work, and trim. Colors are different, but whites will turn. And without an airless, it is hard to spray upright areas. (enamel is thinned more for a siphon gun) I think Sherwin-Williams Polane, polyurethane enamel, is a better way. You'll need a spray rig. It does take a catalyst and it's own thinner. As with any painting, prep is paramount. You need an undercoat primer. Polane rapidly sets up, and dries hard as nails. It comes in several sheens, but you can add a retarder and make it flat if you want. It doesn't blush like lacquer. But, you do need a ventilation system, so it's not for everybody. It is not sold to the general public, but is available in the automotive stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Good info Phil. Thanks for posting. I love to learn. Todd.