Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw: Craftsman 10", 12", or 14"?

Lee, points well taken. Delta just doesn't seem to match up to the features at this price range. I'm not worried about resale, and parts availability might be the hidden cost/risk I'll pay if I buy one of this line of saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    I think you'll find that the 10" saw is little better than a toy. It will cut thin stock adequately well, but has severe limitations due to size. The 12" saw though bigger still has very limited resaw potential and the small throat size will be come apparent on the first or second thing you try to cut. I would go with the 14", but would strongly recommend Delta instead of Craftsman for the parts availablity stand point and potential resale value. Woodworkers Supply has it for $419. http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...28-276&go=5228
    Last edited by Andy Fox; 06-08-2006 at 3:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Fox
    Update:

Now I'm comparing the Grizzly 14" G0555 to the Craftsman 14". The Grizz has more resaw (12" with a riser block). But, the Craftsman has cast iron wheels, larger table (20-3/8 x 15-3/4), and a fence adjustable for drift (I think the Grizz has this too?), 2 dust ports, and it's about $90 cheaper (including tax) than the Grizz with a riser. I'm going to Sears tonight to check out the saw, and maybe buy it.

The Craftsman takes a 99-3/4 in. blade. Is that going to be a problem at all? I'll probably order a few Timberwolf blades.

Edit:
    Also, is the steel frame of the Craftsman an advantage over the Grizz's cast iron?
    Andy, I wouldn't worry too much about the fence in making my decision between these two saws. I've got the Craftsman 14" and really like it, but the fence is nothing to write home about. I bought it with the idea that I would get another fence. Postings from those who have the Griz have said similar things about its fence, as I recall. They are both good saws.

The 99 3/4" blade is not a problem. Suffolk Machinery can fix you right up with the TimberWolf blades at a very reasonable price.

Brad, Thanks, good to know about the fence and blade length.

I got the 10 inch Delta that I suspect is comparable to the cheap Craftsman. Bottom line, a $25 jigsaw did a smoother cut closer to the line than the Delta. The person who bought it from me said he got a good deal, but I saw it advertised for sale again a couple months later.

Replaced it with a nice Jet 14 inch with riser block. Terrible dust collection, no fence, no other features, but it cut pretty good.

Then I saw the Grizzly G0555. Same holes, same castings, apparently same factory, but with all the options for less money. When someone came into my shop and said "if you ever consider selling that Jet, let me know" and a week later I had the G0555 with riser block.

The Grizzly is a great saw, including some resawing. But in too high a percentage of the time resawing, it decides that is the time the blade is going to wander and ruin the beautiful piece of wood that I was trying to bookmatch. And some jointing or heavy sanding was normally required after the resaw.

Therefore I just bought a big bandsaw for straight cuts and resawing, but I am keeping the Grizzly for curve work. Minimal sanding is required with the carbide blade, and I have cut numerous "veneers" 1/16" and thinner.

Bottom line, I consider 14 inches minimum, and impressed with the G0555 for curve work. For serious resawing, I recommend a heavier machine.

Got the Craftsman 14"

Last night I went and looked over this whole line of Craftsman saws. I'm a total bandsaw novice. The 12" was nice and seemed to have plenty of capacity for what I do, but the 14" (model #22401) was around $130 more with more HP and more sturdily built. The 12" wheels appeard to be cast aluminum, while the 14" wheels were cast iron. The trunions on all of them were aluminum and seemed a little weak and mismatched for the large iron tables. The display model table moved with only slight pressure, but I optimistically chalked this up to poor assembly and customer abuse.

If anyone should decide to buy one, be sure to sign up for the "Craftsman Club", as being a member is worth $50 off the $450 price. "1 in stock" probably means the display model. They only had 1 boxed at the store I went to.

I had to unbox the saw to load it into my compact 1992 Accord, but once that was done, it was an easy fit. I hauled the saw down the basement stairs myself by strapping it to an appliance dolly. I probably could've carried it with the motor removed. I assembled the metal stand, but will finish the assembly and setup this weekend. I'll post a new thread by Monday letting everyone know how it went, and even take some photos.

Thanks to everyone for their input!