Thread: Pictures for you viewing pleasure, and advice please

Pictures for you viewing pleasure, and advice please

Here are the pictures from the closets i built and kitchen cabinets i built... as you can see its a work in progress.

i would love to hear what some of you guys think... this is my first such project and this board has been great... huuuuge help.

I realized that by not having a backing i have a squaring issue (only slight which i will try to fix this weekend. I actually think the frame is fine, and the squaring issue is just on some drawers.

The kitchen cabinets i built myself and then just ordered the doors... i'm a little frustrated with the veneer strips for the edge, it really doesn’t look as bad as the picture, but its not as good as it would be from the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images

more pictures

the closet with close hanging is in one bedroom, the the two side by side closets are in the other bedroom.

Here is a quick pic of my bathroom, this was the first room that was finished, i didnt have a sink, stove or fridge for 2 weeks after i moved in but my bathroom was cherry.

The kitchen you can see i'm struggling with. For starters the veneer strips dont look all that great, live-able but not great... second, i had no idea what i was doing, the cabinets were rediculously heavy and i had to build scafolds just to put them in place by myslef...

even more pictures!

here you can see what i'm talking about... seriously i had no clue what i was doing, you can see the space between the fridge and dishwasher was a trouble spot... the counter was too short and i needed the support, so i had to fill it in... dont really notice it, but its not that sweet.

I think the cabinet above the frideg came out well considering it weighs 5000 pounds and getting it level by myself was probably the hardest thing i ever did (ok i exagerate, but its really heavy).

as u can see i built that little island thingy, and i am expecting the granite slab for it to arrive this weekend. i still have to figure out how i'm going to support the slab since it will be 2x as wide as that 12 inch island i built... so it will be a counter top/bar, with stools... i just have to find some supports for it on the side that hangs 12 inches over.

ok finally just a few for fun

The first one is my marble kitchen floor... there was originally wood floor so i had to secure the subfloor, then laydown some "hardibacker" cement-like sheets, and then lay the marble down over that (2 full day job, with lots of cement miing in my bath tub).

Just a shot of the plumbing i did behind the washer-dryer just to show off... i had a little help there :-)

and the exhaust vent you see is from the back of the dryer, its keeping the dryer from sitting flush against the wall, i was wondering if anyone knows where i can find a 4'' to 3'' elbo (yes they sell 4''-3'' reducers but i need one that is also an elbo.

thanks for looking guys, and suggestions, comments, insults welcome

Looking good Eddie!
    You're getting the hang of things looks like.

Did you build or buy your cabinet boxes.

i built everything you see

i'm hoping to have things pretty much finished up this weekend, and take some final pics....

since i cant build drawer fronts or doors i will be waiting 2 weeks for those to come...

Granite supports

Eddie,

You are moving right along! Good for you.

With an island only 12" wide and a 12" overhang, you had better have that island well secured to the floor or the whole shebang will tip over.

As for support, you can add legs on the ends or use heavy-duty steel "knee-knockers" (Sorry Steve, I know you don't like them). I found some from a guy in Knoxville, Tennessee who makes them to order and they will hold up about anything.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

thx

do you the website for "knee knockers"?

i was thinking a shelf holder would do...

i cant really secure that island to the floor, since its marble as u can see, but i was going to secure it to the wall, where i can, which is about the first 15 inches of the island.

Suppport web site

Eddie,

Well, of course, knee-knockers ARE shelf holders. You keep hitting them with your knees. You might get by with a regular shelf holder, depends on the weight of the granite. If not, look at this web site:

http://www.fantasysteel.com/brackets.html

Anyway, that's why they usually put the cabinets in before they put the floor in
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

eddie try this search word; "corbles" i think you`ll find them more to your liking than shelf brackets....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

I had the same problems as you with one of the first cabinets I built, they were so heavy that I didn't think they were going to be usable.

The house I just built had custom made Cherry cabinets, they were awesome and they were super light...Still had 3/4 inch shelves etc. Does anyone know what kind of ply this might be? It's lighter in weight, but you wouldn't know unless you picked the cabinet up...

thanks for the help

Yea corbels are very expensive, i was hoping there would be a cheaper way...

"knee knockers" thats funny, went right over my head...

Thanks for the website, i would think lowes has something similar too

the granite comes this weekend, and if the guys that bring it, dont put it up on the counter i'll never be able to lift it, so i want to get this thing all set and secure.