Newbie here with four older Baileys, some glass, sand paper and the library's copy of 'The Handplane Book'. All was going well but after sharpening my blades a few times I think I have rounded over the bevel on atleast two of the irons. I'm not using any gigs to sharpen and I don't have a bench grinder or access to one (unless somewhere out the in webland happens to live near LaCosta Rd and Rancho Sante Fe Rd ). On a very tight budget.

If the bevels are indeed rounded what should my next step be? Can I flatten the bevel using the things I have and if so what grit paper would you suggest? If not, are there any inexpensive alternatives to a bench grinder? In the book, Hack shows a small "grindstone" thingy attached to a hand drill to slightly hollow the back of the irons. Is this something I could get at the Depot to help with the bevel?

When and if some $$$ does come my way, what are absolute essentials (minimum req) I need to get with a bench grinder? I also have Lee's 'The Complete Guide to Sharpening' and he mentions new grinding wheel(s), wheel dresser, and some type of tool rest.

Thanks in advance for the help
maurice