Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate cows

Angry I hate cows

Welll....not after they're ribeyes.

Plenty dry around here. Even tho I have no grass to speak of in the 'yard', it's more than the cows have in the pasture. As those of you that have cows know, a fence is just a minor irritant to a hungry one. When I repair the year old fence in the next few days, I'll put a hotwire on it. Only the bull is stubborn enough to go through that (so far anyway).

KC

I gave up cattle ranching three years ago. Just in time, we entered a severe drought. Ponds were dust. As you say, fence isn't much more than a nusiance to a hungry cow or horny bull. I still miss the cows and have gained twenty pounds.

"Only the bull is stubborn enough to go through that (so far anyway."

That isn't a cow.... & thats no bull!!!!!
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bull breaking fences? Bull steaks in the freezer!!!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hey...it's free fertilizer for your new sod!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Bull breaking fences? Bull steaks in the freezer!!!!!
    Right. Then just keep cows for pets. Kill a bull, kill half yer production herd and ALL yer production.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco
    Right. Then just keep cows for pets. Kill a bull, kill half yer production herd and ALL yer production.
    We used to artificailly inseminate our 300 head of brood cows, still needed a few bulls around to catch the ones that didn't get pregnant through artificial.

It always seemed they would break out near a apple tree to get the apples that had fallen on the ground....and it always seemed to happen on a Sunday. I don't miss the cows, but I do miss spring planting and fall harvest.

I never really minded the cattle, except during the droughts when I had to haul water from a distant creek, hand pumped with an old "One Arm Johnny Pump" 250 gal at a time, Annnnnd...after we Finally eradicated those darn Screw Worms. Of course, there was always that Fence "Fixin" that had to be done when our Bull and the neighbors Bull would tear out 50 yards of fence, and then graze side by side for days on end til we separated them again. (I kinda had my "Doubts" about those two bulls, Buuuut....the cows kept coming up pregnant)
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

We did the AI thing for many years until the sons grew out of the showing thing. Then went from purebreds to commercial crosses. AI is a lot of work. Keeping bulls is a REAL lot of work and expense.

Closest I ever come to bulls or cows is at the grill and when I buy their residue at HD for my lawn.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    We used to artificailly inseminate our 300 head of brood cows, still needed a few bulls around to catch the ones that didn't get pregnant through artificial.
    Hey Steve . . .

Now you can time your AI's for Wednesday afternoon at 2 if you want, using hormones and prostaglandins. We did that quite a bit, and it eliminates the need for bulls. You can AI them all the same day, and watch them on the next heat for repeats, without worrying about it in between, then comfirm the pregnancies all on the same visit.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Larry, our farm was one of Michigan State Universitys test farms in the mid 80's using Synchromate-B and another heat inducer I think called Lutalyse. They ran tests for 3-4 years to find out info and data. We thought at the time if we bred all 300 cows in one day that we would get the majority of the calves born together in a few days span. It turned out that it didn't have that effect.

I had taken AI class while attending MSU and was one of 4 to AI these cows. I found out that after 10-15 cows that another "technician" needed to take a turn.

We had a commercial cow herd and were using Simmentals in the 70's, Limousins in the 80's....never got into the purebred thing.

I remember those, you have the names right. We used them when we first started doing that - and it was the 80's. We actually started about 1978 or 79. We were working with registered herds and were doing this as well as embryo transfers before the universities were working with herds. A certain percent of cows were always in a part of the cycle that wasn't affected by that mix so it didn't meet producer expectations, as you said. At that time it was the way to go to set up superovulations for ET's and have the recipients on hand for that procedure at the right time. It's better than it was, but due to individual variations in cows, and uncontrollable factors which induce calving you always get stringing out in calving, and you will always have repeater breeders.

You're right, we never tried to pull it off with that many cows. Takes more facilities than the average guy would have to handle that many AI's in a day.

Bulls are always dangerous to keep around. You can't get around that.

Probably too much information, but some good memories.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    Welll....not after they're ribeyes.

Plenty dry around here. When I repair the year old fence in the next few days, I'll put a hotwire on it. Only the bull is stubborn enough to go through that (so far anyway).

KC
    Solar powered fence charger. .2 joules at 4000 volts. Works on thoroughbreds, and other skin sensitive horses.

Ac powered fence charger. 2 joules at 7000 volts. Works on draft and warmbloods.

Old car ignition coils, and a deep deepcyle marine battery. ???? joules at 35,000-50,000 volts. Works on everything.

I volt for the old ignition coil.

Just kidding. Hope the weather breaks for ya' and you get some rain. We have more than enough. You couldn't mow a field right now without getting the tractor axle deep in the mud.

We ran about 50% correct timing with Lut and Sync-B. Of those AI'd, about 50-70% actually 'took'. Worthwhile frustration when trying to breed full or pureblood qualities. But an exercise in futility with commercial cows when 90% + production is necessary for a profit.
    Sad part is that the semen from desirable bulls is very costly.
    Dangerous bulls is something that doesn't exist in my frame of reference. Ours were gentle as kitty cats. That's no bull. Of course, having a 2000 pounder rest his muzzle on your shoulder wanting to be petted can have it's exciting moments.