Thread: Flocking Air Assist Spray Gun?

Flocking Air Assist Spray Gun?

Has anyone used the air assist spray gun sold by DonJer, the company that makes the flocking material sold thru Woodcraft and other outlets?

My main question is, will I need to make a small spray booth to handle the mess?

Thanks, Perry

'Not speaking from experience, Perry, but I have a suspicion after using the stuff "manually" that an "environmental containment arrangement" will be a good idea. (Not to mention a good mask, etc.)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have that gun and bought direct.

I have taken two quick grip clamps and clamped them to a bench holding a trash bad to the bench. Then I take two spring clamps and hold the other side of the bag close to the top or in this case the end of the clamps. I then sit the project just inside the bag and flock away. I can then dump the trash bag back into the flocking can for use the next time.

I have a bag for each of the four colors I use as well as a brush for each glue color. I also have a can for each color that connects to the gun.

I use a short hose and a small regulator connected to shop air to run the gun. Nice and easy and always ready to go.

Nice system and does a great job. Only caution I can think of is be sure to let the flocked project dry good before messing with it. If you screw up the project, you can sand it off and start again. I have not found a way to "repair" a bad spot. Better to start over. Be sure to spread the glue thick and work quickly to cover the area to flock and then spray flocking. Have everything ready and waiting.

I can take pictures if that would help. You will like the system!

Ed,

Please show us pictures.

Thanks.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I use a lot of the flocking in my small boxes. I only use black fibers. Even though I seal the wood first, I have started putting on 2 coats of adhesive and then the flocking in order to get the quality I want. I have tried using the hand applicator, a homemade rig useing a mustard bottle, and lately I just dumped a bunch inside the box, held a piece of cardboard over the top and gave it a good shaking, which has given me the best results so far.

I'm hoping the spray will force the fibers into the adhesive a little better. Anyway, that for the info.

Perry

Bag clamped to a bench.

Bag clamped at the top now.

I use a different bag for each color.

Air hose and regulator set for flocking. The red hose is 125 psi shop air. Black hose is 15 psi for flocking gun.

Flocking gun and can of material ready to flock something.

I ordered a gun today. Since I make so many of these little boxes and only use black, I'm considering buying a cheap Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet, taking out the sand gun, cutting the fingers out of the gloves and rigging up an exhaust system so I can spend up my process.

Perry