Thread: Dave--roundovers that interesect in SU

Dave--roundovers that interesect in SU

Say you have a square post and you roundover the top using follow me. Works fine. Then you want to round over the vertical edges of the post. I mark the arc on the bottom corner of the post, selects the edge (including the segmented lines that form the curve on the top of the post) but follow me stop short of the curved surface. What to do?

Kevin, I do it just like I do out in the shop. First I roundover the two top edges, then use Follow Me to go around the post.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here's an updated file Kevin. I added a page 6 and 7.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks very much, Joe. I'll give it a try. I thought I submitted a reply but I guess it didn't go through. One question: did you smooth corner using the selection in the edit menu or is there some other tool you used?

No Kevin, I use the Eraser tool while holding down Shift. You can also R click and choose Hide, but that takes longer if there are more than a few lines to hide.

Joe's method works although he's really only done half the post. The trick would be to make the original post half as thick as desired. Run through Joe's rounding steps, copy the result, mirror it and join the two halves together. Then eraser the seam line.

Joe, on the second to last page of your second tutorial you are getting some little tabs sticking out there. Instead of hiding their edges, you could draw a line between along the intersection of them and erase the outer edges of the tabs. then soften the line you drew with the Ctrl key and Eraser tool.

In this screen grab, you can see the shadows and the color change between the surfaces.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whoops! forgot to use the follow me on the other half of the post!

Dave, I hadn't zoomed in enough to see that those lines I hid were actually tabs sticking out. Good call!