Thread: Hollow form tool(s)?

Hollow form tool(s)?

Finally about to buy some new tools for Ms. Ruby. Power sanding and disks are on the top of the list! I am also thinking about tying some sort of hollowing tool. I want to eventually make me a hollowing rig but that is down the road. I still have a couple more old machines to restore first.

I was looking at the Crown (I think it was) swan neck tool. It appeals to me for a couple of reasons but I have never used anything like that. I like to turn bowl with large openings and curved sides. Not exactly hollow forms and this 'appears' it would be good for that. And for undercutting lips that roll back into the bowl.

But as always I want to see what others have and like. I am not looking to spend $150+! I am just looking for something simple and reasonably priced to start doing simple hollow shapes.

Jeff, I got the Sorby Hollowmaster. I think it was between $50 and $75. I like it because of the flat bottom which helps with the control. I've used it to hollow out some Forms 9" tall and some other forms that are 10" wide by 2.5" tall through a 1.5" hole. It works pretty good once you get used to it.

Ernie

Looked at that one and I think I like better.

Also found an old post where Bill G. shows how he makes his own and that really appeals to me. Than a link to another set made by someone else. After looking at these I am thinking of just making my own now. Like I need another project though.

Jeff I got to use a set of 5/8" Keltons at Woodcraft in Virginia. I really like the way they handle. You can hog wood with them or use them to finish with. I am really looking hard at them. 5/8" are around $115 but you get the straight, slightly bent and the curved one for that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.