Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the dream job....do I want it????

Mark, you may be too far along for this, but she considers your pieces art. If you do undertake this commission, then you need to charge like it is art and you need to do it at an artist's pace - ie. over a long period of time. Also, art is not rushed. If you took a year off between pieces to clear your mind, she should be understanding about it.

Otherwise, pass. People should do what maximizes their value. I should not be rebuilding a transmission on a car just because I can if I can do my "job" for more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    Mark - I won't bother to offer yet another suggestion because I believe that deep down you already know what to do.

But this thread has given me pause to consider something else.

I wonder if Charles and Henry Greene ever had a similar dilemma?

And we sure know what their answer was.

I couldn't have stated it any better than Andyhas.

I say "Just Do It". Charge a fair price for your "custom work". Make sure that the client realizes that it may take a few years to finish everything. Sub out the rough milling, and cutting to dimension. Do the joinery, assembly and finishing yourself.

It is a difficult decision to take something that you enjoy, and do it for money. It takes the "romance" so to speak out of it. I know that I personnaly would not want to work to a definitive timeline.

It's a little hypocritical of me to take this position. I have turned down requests to do woodworking for $$$$ because I want to continue to enjoy it.

One of the facets to your "problem" that would tilt the table for me, is that the client does not want run of the mill furniture,made as cheaply as possible. Specifying all solid woods, and the selection of the woods that you listed. Well....,to have that amount of latitude, to be able to create and build furniture of that quality would be very difficult to decline.
    I further suspect thatthe reason that she wants to have you build the furniture is that she has already contacted other custom makers, and they have told her how "they would do it", and with you it may be a matter of how "we" can do it. Still, it will be a lot of work.

Mark,

Plenty of heartfelt advise hear which is not at all suprizing. Your dilemma has given many of the Creekers an opportunity to give back to you that which you so freely give to us all on a regular basis.

I think the mindset of many woodworkers involves challenge. To be able to invision a beginning and an end and to enjoy the process and the comfort it brings. Do you need such an extended journey? Will making one table match the fulfilment of making three or four or a whole flock of furniture?

Many of my projects during my woodworking career were long time jobs just as boat building or building interiors in boats. It certainly takes commitment however I would not be who I am without the challenge.

Its a good thing.

Cheers,

Kent

Mark,

A hobby ceases to be a hobby when the word "deadline" enters the picture. Can you imagine a client who never uses the word?

Thank you for the many thoughtful responses it has helped to clarify my position and approach to taking on this large commission. A similar parallel is my approach to Architecture.....it is a business for me now and for the last 30 years, yet it has never ceased to remain a passion. I have tried to make my Architecture artful yet I avoid trendy and impractical solutions ....in my mind it needs to work as a home for the client and to celebrate life and all each building site has to offer. At the beggining my fees were extremely low and as I garnered more built work I was able to raise my fees which has made all the work more rewarding. Obvious as that seems , when you are very young sometimes the work itself is enough of a reward... I have worked a long time to enjoy the rewards I am recieving as an Architect....its hard to stop now and worlwide there are many very old Architects and not one retires! Oscar Neimeyer is over 90...still practicing and very active. Jorn Utzon, I. M. Pei, Sverre Fehn, Sir Norman Foster, Alvaro Siza, Richard Meier, Michael Graves and many others have never stopped practicing....it is their lifes blood and while none of these guys needs to work....they do and with as much passion as ever!

My client would be probably happy with the furniture I have designed and built for my own home. While that would be an easy solution, what is the point? It would begin to be a production of sameness....like tract homes...no specific design , just repitition. I must design each piece specifically for its location in her home and for her......now I feel the passion that I must feel to move forward! It is not about the money as many have stated.....I see it as an extension of my work ...a " next Phase" to the home home that is being built. Just as the home must feel in concert with the land on which it sits....each table, bed and chair must feel at home and enhance and be inhanced by its sourroundings...It is a marriage and each partner , the home and the furniture, is thrives on and lives for and with the presence of the other.
    For me it is also an opportunity for design innovation....but with great restraint...
    A new chair design is always exciting.....mine are never easy that to build because of the reponse to the human form and it must be comfortable!
    The beds and tables are easy, once designed ...I have built many and the forms and surfaces are unadorned ....I am always seeking out a simple form that is new in some subtle way....this is found through the design

So with as much passion as I approach Architecture I can move forward , taking each task one at a time. She stated "This is the only home and furniture I will ever own" ....talk about pressure?
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

mark, i don`t see pressure, i see you thriving in your element! have fun. tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Powers
    Mark, A hobby ceases to be a hobby when the word "deadline" enters the picture. Can you imagine a client who never uses the word?
    A wise old man once said "There ain't nothing that takes the pleasure out of a thing like making a business out of it."

Of course, that probably can't be an absolute maxim for everyone. Some folks thrive on deadlines. Some folks can see right past the stress of other people's expectations. Everyone is different.

Mark, you understand your achievements, you understand your passions. Have fun expressing yourself in furniture. I am sure you will be successful.
    Best Regards, Ken

Mark,
    A 60 year old perspective.
    She asked, you sent her to others, she came back. You gave her prices and, she didn't blink.
    Sounds like if you tried to back out know, would only tick her off. Evidently a good customer and no doubt, has lots of other $ contacts.
    I think, if you can negotiate "reasonable" time frames, something that doesn't burn you out and has her understanding that your architectural professional work must come first IF there gets to be a conflicting schedular crunch, you are on the hook. You know, the old offer and acceptance bit. You offered prices and she accepted. It does not have to mean a longer commitment to furniture design/build other than for her. It is a lot of work and, from her perspective, YOU have to do the work. Speaks very highly of your reputation and the esteem she holds of your work.
    Do it this time. She will no doubt get lots of unsolicited referrals for you for additional work which you are at liberty to accept or politely decline. You will be able to be extremely choosey about future furniture work, accept the odd commission here and there, the ones that really interest you, the ones that you can pour your passion into and take the time you want. It could be relaxing, excursions into flights of fancy if you call the design shots and, extremely lucerative on a piece by piece basis as you agree to take on the work. Maybe only one or two pieces a year.
    Sorry for the philosophical bent. It does appear you are on the hook, for this one. Enjoy, and negotiate a delivery schedule that allows for the other, important things in your life.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA

Mark,
    Having meet and spent a day with you at Sam Maloofs and read many of your insightful posts I feel you already know the answer to the question. Your passion for wood working and design and your craftsmanship make this challenge even more exciting for you. The fact that there dosn't seem to be any time restrants on this project make it even more appealing. I would however take a lesson from Sam and get a helper/apprentice to do some of the tasks such the sanding and finishing etc. Good luck my friend and I look forward to seeing this project in its entirity.

Even Sam Maloof does repetitive work...

Now you can too

Mark, Do you have a full year of time to accomplish this task? Sounds like you will need a year, or more. If all this includes the kitchen cabinets and living room furniture as well as the dining room, you have a whole lot of work infront of you! OTOH, no one else will do, so why not get going? Good luck and we all look forward to seeing the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Duffy
    Mark, Do you have a full year of time to accomplish this task? Sounds like you will need a year, or more. If all this includes the kitchen cabinets and living room furniture as well as the dining room, you have a whole lot of work infront of you! OTOH, no one else will do, so why not get going? Good luck and we all look forward to seeing the pics.
    Philip,
    No kitchen cabinets...they will be Siematic
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

So Mark, if you do this and decide to take on a helper/apprentice, do you have a place for John M. to sleep, and will your employee policy allow him to moonlight in IT?
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Hey Mark, as Cecil alluded to, one of us could do it
    in your stead!!!