Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MPG on your daily driver?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash
    69 Chevelle SS (450 horses) running high octane gas I still get 18 m.p.g. when I cruise and keep my foot off the pedal....what fun is that though.
    So you burn about a gallon a year??
    Jim

My 6.0L diesel F250 got 22.5 on my last tank. It has tons of power. Our Ford Freestar van gets 19.8 to 21.5. I drive it the most, and the hardest. Our Jeep Cherokee 4.0L gets around 21 to 22. I really like that inline 6. Sad news that it has been replaced.

I had a new Civic (2000) stick shift. It got around 32 mpg, which I miss. But I just couldn't handle changing gears all the time. In city driving I was constantly changing gears. It didnt have enough power to pull out in 2nd. You had to start in 1st. It didnt have enough power to skip gears either. You had to go thru all 5 gears then stop at the next light. It just plain wore me out driving it. Everything we drive now are autos. My previous 2 trucks were straight drives, however they had enough torque (300 cid inline 6s) to make them much easier to drive.

I looked thru a Road n Track magazine this week (might have been another one). They drove a new pre-production Ford Cobra Mustang cross country. CA to NY. They got pretty good mileage from that car. I cant remember exactly, I think it was 18mpg. They dyno-ed the motor at 500 horses. It was computer limited to 157, (they tested it). They felt it would be capable of around 175 if not limited. Thats pretty good mileage from that motor. I think I could pony up the gas money if I had one of those!
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Benante
    VW diesels are the best for mileage IMHO.
    These new VW diesels are impressive machines. On a recent trip to Germany, our rental car was a Golf TDI. Most of our driving was on the Autobahns with frequent rowing back and forth from 75 to 120+ MPH. Still managed to get 30-35 MPG!!! By the way, diesel was around $4.50 a gallon and premimum was over $6. In spite of the recent spike in gas prices in the US, we're still pretty fortunate...

Dan

My Saab 9-3s get between 27 and 29 mpg--a bit more for long steady drives. (Not found much here in CT)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    27.4 MPG average in my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited and 48 MPG in Dr. SWMBO's 2002 Prius hybrid.
    I get 47.5 MPG with my 2006 Prius, and I drive like I always have (my truck, now being driven by my wife, gets 17 MPG being driven the same way). My commute is 40 miles each way, with about evenly mixed freeway and rural roads. I go 70 or more on the freeway and about 45 - 50 on the rural roads (speed traps!)

Speaking of Mustang Cobra's mine is an 04' super charged and fuel injected, performance exhaust, 6 speed trans, flashed computer,cold air kit, and a bunch of tuning. At the rear tires the HP rating is just over 450. The torque is around the same at the tires . On a recent trip from Orlando to Key West I managed just under 25 mpg. This car will violate every speed law in the western hemisphere in second gear. In town I get 14 -15 mpg. My lincoln Town Car gets 28 or better with the cruise set at 67 mph. My F-150 gets about 16 in general and 19 strictly hiway. I'm 59 yrs old. Someday when I grow up.......naaahh I'll be drivig performance cars till I'm dead and loving every minute of it. You guys think gas is expensive you should see what a set (4) 17" Michelins cost for that thing. Makes gas look cheap. If every one in the country would keep their tires properly inflated and get a tune up there would be no shortage. Happy Motoring,
    Jim

I get 12 mpg in my quad ram 1500 4x4 it sucks next I want to trade it in next year
    65.00 a week to fill hurts
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    27.4 MPG average in my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited and 48 MPG in Dr. SWMBO's 2002 Prius hybrid.
    Hey, Jim,

I thought your daily commute involved wandering down the hall to your home office!?

My daily commute is a 4km bike ride - one way. Difficult to figure MPG on that. Usually it is a bowl of cereal + fruit in the morning...

I've been taking my Trek 6700 to work the last 3 weeks. How many miles per gallon is it when you pedal 100 miles per week, dropped two pounds, and your new 2006 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed truck sits at home with the nearly full tank of gas you put in it, uh, 3 weeks ago?

When I do drive, the Tacoma gets anywhere from 17.5 to 20.6 mpg. When I drive it slow and mild and like I'm in zero hurry, like I did before pedal power came board, I can get 400 miles on about a 20 gallon fill.

The BMW (2001 530i, I6 engine), gets 21 around town, and 30 highway. It does amazingly well on the highway...wish it did better around town.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder
    My daily commute is a 4km bike ride - one way. Difficult to figure MPG on that.
    For bicyclists, "gas" is an emission, not a consumable.

Granola bars and bran muffins...who thought that was a good idea?!?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bell
    .... This car will violate every speed law in the western hemisphere in second gear. .... Happy Motoring,
    Jim
    Wow, over 80 MPH in second gear. Can I then conclude that it will also out top-end a new vet?

Sounds like a fun car.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Wow, over 80 MPH in second gear. Can I then conclude that it will also out top-end a new vet?

Sounds like a fun car.
    It might be able to...if it could stay on the road and not act like an airplane wing as the mphs increase....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

18 MPH in my 2005 Silverado but the company pays for my gas...

20+ in LOML's Suburban.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    18 MPH in my 2005 Silverado but the company pays for my gas...

20+ in LOML's Suburban.
    WOW Don maybe you need to get some Castor Oil & quit dragging that anchor.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

11.5 Mpg

My Hemi Dodge 2500 4x4 gets a 11.5 MPG. I like to say I pass everything but a gas station. It doesn't really bother me because it is what it is. I enjoy my truck and the utility it gives me.

Dan