Thread: Need quick advice on Q4

Need quick advice on Q4

I have been considering purchasing a high quality spray unit and begin spraying more projects. This morning, I saw a for sale ad where someone is selling a Fuji Q4 unit. He is asking $600. I have mostly seen these for closer to $800 (new). He said he bought it 4 years ago to spray his garage and thought he would be using it a lot but it has been setting idle for the last 3 years. Would the fact that this was purchased 4 years ago make any difference in terms of any im[provements that Fuji might have made since then?
    Advice needed.

Thanks,
    Jim

In a word, yes. The older Q4 used a bipass gun which means the air flows all the time the unit is on. The newer unit does not, it only sprays when you pull the trigger.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Not sure if Cecil is correct or not about the Q4 coming originally with a bleeder-style gun (I know the old 3-stage ones did because I have one which has been upgraded to a non-bleeder). However, if it did and the owner upgraded to a non-bleeder style gun the turbine requires a modification to vent pressure buildup to protect the motor. It is essentially a hole in the manifold. Might want to check on this. I bought mine used and before I did I called Fuji and asked all sorts of questions. The person at Fuji was extremely helpful and gave me tons of things to look for in a used unit.

Hope it helps . . .

Larry

Thanks

Larry/Cecil,
    Thanks for the advice. I called Fuji and talked with one of their guys and he filled me in and you were both correct about the older model guns. I decided to hold off for now and wait until I can get one of the newer sprayers.

Jim

Jim,

Not sure what your budget is but you can get the Fuji Q4 for 20% off (making it approximately $700) by using the "paints20" code to save 20% on paint supplies.

Just thought it might be an option for you.

Jeff
    There are three types of people in this world: those who want things to happen, those who make things happen and those who just wonder what the heck happened.

If you watch Amazon, they have the Q4 Pro on sale for $620ish every so often. Next time I see it, I'll be purchasing one.
    chris

Certainly take a look at used units. I bought my old 3-stage and it came with a Capspray Maxim II gun upgrade, almost every needle/nozle combo, extra long hoze, and 6' whip, etc for around $300. It has served me very well and I have run alcohol shellac, oil-based paint (properly thinned), WB lacquer, WB shellac and WB conversion varnish through it with no problems. Finish is very very nice - and this is with a 3-stage. 4-stage should do even better with the higher solid content finishes.

I see Capspray 9000 (4-stage) units on flea-bay all the time.

Something to think about.