Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Chuck Questions

More Chuck Questions

I read the recent "which chuck should I buy" thread with great interest, since that's likely going to be my next tool purchase. I'm trying to keep the cost under control, so I'm primarily looking at the new Nova G3 or the PSI CMG3. (Keep in mind this is for a little Wilton mini-lathe, so I won't be swinging any big honkin' logs on it.)

The Nova looks like a nice chuck for the money; it uses a chuck key to tighten, but it's about $130 and comes with a single set of jaws for that price.

The CMG3 is about $90, and it includes three different sets of jaws, but it tightens with levers (tommy bars), which seem they'd be more of a hassle to use than a chuck key.

So the question is...is the chuck key worth $40 extra, even though it means only a single set of jaws? Or are the tommy bars usable enough to make the extra jaws and lower price of the PSI chuck a good deal?

So all you experienced turners, any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

- Vaughn

Unless you have a third hand stashed away somewhere on your person... ...the tommy bars can be a pain at times when mounting something, especially when it's not "perfectly round". Ask yourself if the type of turning you envision will require the various jaw types in the near future. If not, the Nova is a better buy, IMHO, easier to use and will go farther into the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd go for the Nova myself. The Tommy Bars are a big pain in the kester for sure. In addition with the Nova the Jaws and the Inserts are interchangable with all Nova Chucks so in the future if you change lathes or upgrade Chucks you can use the Jaws and change the insert.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

Vaughn,

Go with the Nova chuck. You'll need your other hand to hold a bowl up on the chuck. It's not $40 more for just a chuck key, your getting a lot better scroll chuck. I've used my Nova chuck a LOT and even Mark, Joe Meazle, Samuel, Joseph, and many others have used my lathe and Nova chuck. Besides that? It's not just a better chuck overall, you're also getting a little more "peace of mind".
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I've got the PSI chuck you speak of, and don't find the "tommy bars" that big a hassle. As far as the jaws go, I don't know how useful that feature is, as I have yet to use any of the "extra" jaws that came with it. (Note: I don't do pens, bottle-stoppers, or any of the other small-diameter stuff that might require the other jaws.) I will say that I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the small screws that attach the jaws on that chuck...dunno how well they would hold up to a lot of jaw-swapping.

The PSI is a good chuck for the money...so go buy the Nova, you know you want to.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Vaughn, I bought a Nova Midi chuck and got it at Packards for 99.00 and it is usually 119.00 most places. You can Nova jaws that are compatible with the scroll range. It uses the Tommy bars but I don't understand what the big deal is with T-bars. I have two chucks that use them and it really isn't a problem. For awhile Woodcraft had the G3 for 124. I believe and if I had know that ( found out after I received my midi) or I would have gotten it. It accepts some of the larger jaws sets as well.

Corey

Well, the verdict is in. I just ordered the G3 with an additional set of 25mm jaws from WoodChips, who seemed to have the best current price. (BTW, Travis Stinson is the featured turner on their website this month. If it's been mentioned here aready, I missed it.) Since I want to be able to do smaller stuff, I figured I did indeed need the smaller jaws. (I just can't picture spinning a very big bowl or hollow form on the little Wilton.)

I spent more money than I'd planned, but isn't that what turning (and woodworking in general) is all about? I'm slowly learning the pain from buying a good tool happens only once...the pain from using something you're not completely happy about happens every time you use it. This is not to imply that the PSI chuck is a bad tool (and in fact I really like the other tools I've bought from them, including their pocket hole jig and chisel sharpening jig), but the Nova does seem more upgradable for future lathes.

Thanks for the advice gents -

- Vaughn

Great thread Vaughn, thanks for posting your question. I'm thinking of upgrading my chuck as well. I've got the "el cheapo" Grizzly tommy bar special for the Jet mini at the moment. The tommy bars don't bother me, but I'm a relative rookie so ignorance is bliss! Let us know how you like the G3 once you get it.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Congrats Vaughn, hope it comes quick and you can experience some more fun!

Corey

Gee Vaughn, how about something a bit easier next time, like what's better, a Ford or Chevy I was in the same boat last week and after reading all the past threads I was still confused ( doesn't take much ) This may not be of much help to you but here is how I ended up deciding. Toss a nickel in the air, if it lands tails up, get the PSI, heads up, get the G3, if it lands on edge, go for the SN2, and if you lose the nickel, order the Talon Good luck !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley
    Gee Vaughn, how about something a bit easier next time, like what's better, a Ford or Chevy I was in the same boat last week and after reading all the past threads I was still confused ( doesn't take much ) This may not be of much help to you but here is how I ended up deciding. Toss a nickel in the air, if it lands tails up, get the PSI, heads up, get the G3, if it lands on edge, go for the SN2, and if you lose the nickel, order the Talon Good luck !
    Oh my goodness!!!!!! I'll have to remember this one for my next decision.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

chucks

When I got my first chuck (Vicmark), I also got an assortment of jaws to go with it. Now, 6 years later, I have 2 of the chucks, one has the standard jaws, and the other has the extended jaws. I never use the others. I have 3 chucks total, 2 of the smaller, and one larger (for the bigger bowls).
    robo hippy

13. I've got the $42.50 Griz special for the C-man lathe, it works just fine, T-bars and all, don't know what the big deal is about them T-bars....?

I've also got the Nova G3, came with the DVR (thanks again George Conklin!!), and it sure is a nice chuck, certainly heads and shoulders over the Griz one.

If the quality is the same, and the only diff is the T-bar unit is cheaper, then that is what I'd go for, as I said, I have no trouble with the T-bars.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    I've got the $42.50 Griz special for the C-man lathe, it works just fine, T-bars and all, don't know what the big deal is about them T-bars....?

If the quality is the same, and the only diff is the T-bar unit is cheaper, then that is what I'd go for, as I said, I have no trouble with the T-bars.

Cheers!
    Stu, I'm with you! I have the Griz as well and have no problem with the bars. Maybe it is just because I've not used anything better but I've been asking myself why I would want to pay more for a chuck. The only reason I can come up with might be jaw selection. Maybe other jaws would fit the griz, I just really dont know. I have no trouble with the bars or the chuck.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

15. Well Chris, I'll say that the quality of the Nova G3 compared to the Grizzly is not much of a comparison, the G3 is a much better made chuck, and I will bet that it will hold a lot better.

I was more trying to compare the PSI chuck with the G3, if the PSI chuck is as well made as the G3, but the diff is the T-bars, I'd not have a problem with going with the PSI T-bar unit.

The Grizzly chuck has it's place, it sure is a cheap way to get into chucking up a chunk of wood.

Cheers!