Thread: Does Sketchup calculate dimensions?

Does Sketchup calculate dimensions?

I am interested in using Sketchup but need a particular function. Does Sketchup calculate dimensions?

Specifically, I am designing a cabinet with veneer panels inset into rail-and-stile frames. When I change the dimensions of a veneer panel, I need to automatically calculate the change in the overall dimensions, including the rails and stiles.

For example, if the original veneer panel is 12" x 29" and the rails and stiles are 2" wide, the overall dimensions are 16" x 33". But if I change the veneer panel to 12" x 30", the overall dimensions are 16" x 34".

This may sound trivial, but I have found that I often forget to do all the necessary arithmetic and wind up making a lot of scrap.

Thanks in advance for any help.

John, I think I understand what you're asking and the answer would be yes. If you change the size of the panel and adjust the frame to suit, the dimensions will be corrected. As to how much work is involved in making the adjustments, that depends on the method you use to draw the frame and panel. If you want to send me an example of the model you are working on, I can make an illustration for you. PM me if you want my e-mail addy.

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your offer. The attached photo is from Corel Draw, which does not do any dimensioning. The project is a cabinet with two doors over four drawers. the quilted maple doors have a walnut frame surround.

The function that I want is to fix the walnut frame dimension, say 1". If I change the dimensions of the doors, say from 12" wide to 13" wide, I want the program to automatically calculate that the carcass width has changed from 26" = 12*2 +2 to 28" = 13*2 +2.

Does this help explain my question?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, that explains it better. It wouldn't be a simple one step process but it wouldn't be difficult, either. It depends greatly upon how you draw the cabinet. If the doors and carcase are separate components, you'd have to manually resize the parts so they fit each other. SU doesn't care if parts overlap and there's no way to link one to the other. Might be a possible Ruby script but I have no idea if it is possible through Ruby.

Do you know of some application where that is an option?

John,

I think there is a miscommunication with your terminology here. When you say "dimensioning", in SketchUp terms, that means "adding dimensions" via the Dimension Tool. And this is how Dave answered.

What I think you are wanting, though, is parametric editing. I think you want to be able to make a particular part of the model a different size, and then the model gets readjusted (and redrawn) by SketchUp automatically. This is not part of the base SketchUp product.

However, there is good news. You could write a Ruby script to do provide this parametric editing support, and there are examples available to study and copy.

You can resize the whole model with the Tape Measure tool, but you probably don't want to do that, and every dimension will be scaled up (or down) accordingly.

I have Corel Draw, and it does allow you draw dimensions using the Dimension Tool. What version of CD do you have? I have CD 10. Now, if you are referring to parametric editing, then yes, my Corel Draw does not support that either.

High end CAD programs, like SolidWorks, do support parametric editing.

Todd

(Edit - it took me a while to write my reply, and Dave added a new reply in the meantime. I was referring to Dave's first post. And, Dave, yes, this could be done through a Ruby Script.)

Todd, I was hoping you'd chime in. The Ruby thing would be interesting for that sort of parametric editing. I just can't seem to get my head around the script language to understand it, though.

Hello Todd,

Thanks for helping me with terminology; I'm not CAD literate. I have Corel Draw 9 and it does have the dimensioning tool, though I had never used it. As you say, it doesn't appear to do the parametric editing. Where can I find out about Ruby scripts?

Why, the Ruby Forum on the SketchUp website, for sure!

Hello Todd and Dave,

Thanks for answering my questions. I went to the Sketchup website and learned about Ruby scripts. Back at the dawn of time (I'm OLD), I wrote some macros; seems similar.

Since Sketchup won't do the function I want easily, I think that I'll see how much I can get out of Corel Draw's dimensioning function. Maybe a supplemental Excel spreadsheet can keep track of the detail calculations.

I think the parametric function you are looking for is possible in Autodesks's Desktop. The problem of course is that its too expensive.

Desktop allowes you to design wall tools to act as cabinet rails and styles which can then be changed in size while the dimension string updates real time.

Not the solution looked for here but it made me think about using autocad for that purpose. An interesting challenge.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.