Thread: Government auctions

Government auctions

I have been checking out govliquidation . com for a couple days. Tons of ww machines, mostly old iron, seemingly going for peanuts. But, seems like alot are sitting outside in the rain, which breaks yer heart.
    Anybody have any experiences buying from these people?
    Also, I have questions about direct drive machines. I dont have 3 ph. available, so is it at all possible to switch out a d.d. motor to single ph? Or am I phase converting. I am eyeing a 12" jointer.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-15-2006 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Remove direct link to auction site - not allowed by TOS; fixed spelling

I'd go for the three phase machine, less competition for bidding. Then find a used but running variable frequency drive that will convert single phase to three phase. I run my table saw that way. Ebay is a good source of VFD's but there are other sources. You just have to make sure that the one you buy will convert single to three.

I have no personal experience with these auctions, just what I have read. The concensus seems to be to really watch out what you buy and inspect if at all possible. Think about it: 18-20 year old kids using equipment that isn't theirs - and maybe they hate being where they are.

I agree with the tools outside thing. That would be another factor to take into consideration. For instance, I wouldn't buy any thing left outside in Hawaii. I lived there for five years and my table saw top would rust over night. I could just imagine what something would look like after living out doors for a while.

Maybe take the attitude that whatever you buy is only a start towards disassembly and rebuild - then you won't be disappointed.

There is one auction near my area. I'm looking at a lot of 15 radiation suits and a 70" naval ship rudder. mmmmmmmmmmmmmboy......good stuff.

I figure that I could just walk around the 3 units here that I manage wearing the rad suit and freak out my tenants.

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark,
    or, you could buy a couple C 130 engines (really) and keep 'em in your yard!

If you are worried, then dont participate. There is no way I could have scored this jointer for $200 anywhere else, I believe.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36309

Actual URL?

I see (and understand why) the url was disabled. However, when I go to govliquidaton dot com it is one of those pesky redirection/advertising/domain for sale sites. Can't find any auction sites much less items for sale.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Brad

Gentlemen (and women), just check your spelling. You are on the right track.

You have been spelling the auction "liquidaton", with no "i".

I typed in govliquidation and went right to the exact same sight that was linked before.

That's all you need.

Thanks for the heads up Jesse. Boy-o-boy, There are some outrageously large bandsaws in there across the country. As well as a big ol' 12" tilting arbor TS. Too bad the table was solid rust. It didn't look too pitted or beyond repair but it's still too bad. Lots of rebuilders in there. Fun sight to peruse.

BTW Alex. Nice job on the restore. How did the cutter head come out? If it were me, I wouldn't have the patience (or the know how) to clean up the cutterhead and would probably just replace it.
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 06-15-2006 at 5:55 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Gentlemen (and women), just check your spelling. You are on the right track.

You have been spelling the auction "liquidaton", with no "i".
    My bad. It's now fixed in the original post. Sorry for the inconvenience, gentlemen and gentlewoman!

I have bought from gov liquidation before. you do have to be carefull.

direct drive machines are pretty hard to swap out with other motors. the motor shaft itself is configured to hold what ever cutter head or saw blade you are talking about. my advise is to plan on direct drive machines to have three phase and you will need to find a way to provide it.

lou

That's sort of what I figgered about the shaft being proprietary to the cutterhead..

Nice job on the jointer. Did you use one of their "recommended" shippers?