Thread: Putting a mobile base on a drill press

Putting a mobile base on a drill press

I have a Delta 17-965 drill press and would like to put a mobile base under. But I'm concerned about it becoming top heavy and somewhat unstable. Has anyone made their drill press mobile - and any words of wisdom or warning? Thanks
    Dan McLaughlin

Dan,

I put one under mine. I believe that it is about 24" X 24" square. I put two layers of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed together under the drill press then lag bolted the drill press to that. It's suprisingly stable and moves around the shop rather easily.

If you're interested I can go down and take a couple pics. Works great

Ron

I did basically the same thing Ron did and it works great. You'd have to really make an effort to tip it over.

Mine has been on a mobile base for four years now with narry a problem. You do need to pay attention when you are moving it around, depending on the type of base, but when it's locked down it shouldn't be any different than if it was sitting on the floor provided you mount it securely as described in the other posts previous to this one and use a base that is of good quality.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dan,

I have my Powermatic 1150a (fairly heavy for a 15" drill press) on a HTC custom sized base (I think the base is for a Bridgewood sander). I just looked through the catalog until I found the style and size I wanted. The base is slightly oversized, but is the style with steel across the front and back, and the drill press is bolted to it. I seldom move it, and the HTC 3 point stance is very stable. It has a little flex in the steel running over the rear caster, but not enough to cause any problems or be noticed when I forget about it. I would do it again with the same setup. I don't think you'll have any problems making or buying. I have a bunch of HTC bases and really like them. Nice and low so the center of gravity doesn't really change.

Good Luck - John

Funny timing. I just removed the HTC base I had under mine. It was way to wobbly. Sounds like the others had rather large, square setups, making them more stable. I guess I'll give that a try, because the rather narrow, custom-fit dolly just didn't do it for me. Good luck. db
    Dave on Lake Greenwood, SC

I built an oversized base out of ply and 2x4s and put the mobile base under it. It is very stable and works great. I was also able to build a platform for some temporary storage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JayStPeter; 09-14-2003 at 3:36 PM.
    Jay St. Peter

I have two DPs with HTC mobile bases under both. I had to have both DPs mobile so that they could be moved around my small shop. One is an old Craftsman 15" and the other is a Delta 17-925. Only thing you have to do is be careful going over cracks or the like. Once in place, they seem to be just fine.

I have two drill presses and use the same mobile base for both. It is called a two wheel cart. I just get behind the drill press, push the cart under it and tip it back.