Thread: Bandsaw log sled ideas?

Bandsaw log sled ideas?

Looking for a way/idea to hold a log and run it through the bandsaw. I am thinking a sled would slide against the fence. Just not sure how to hold the log.

I want to take logs and chunks of wood and be able to cut turning squares, boards and thin pieces for veneers.

Jeff, I thought about this myself. The thing is, I have not built anything yet, but so far this is my idea...

Aluminum angle iron and small pulleys work well together at making tracks. This would make a great foundation for a carriage to roll on rather than slide. I would then look long and hard at a sawmill carriage, in particular an old Lane sawmill carriage, and miniturize it to roll on the aluminum tracks.

The Lane carriage (early 1900's rotary sawmill) had a rather ingenious system of simplicity that held a full size log or a single board by the use of a peice of pipe and clamping dog. It worked amazing well and was quick and fast to adjust.

If you are interested, and don't think my ideas is too wild, I can tru to get a picture of how the carriage on one of these full size sawmills works.

3. Jeff, how big is your BS, and what size, and length of logs are you looking at running through it?

My KISS method has worked well for me.........

for smaller stuff, this works great, just two pieced of cheap plywood screwed together in an "L" shape, two short screws in from the back side, and one from the bottom and you are good to go. Make sure you use some wedges to keep things good and solid. Once I have two flat sides on a log, I just use the fence.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Travis, I can picture what your thinking but I am looking at smaller logs than you are. Standard 14" bandsaw and nor more than a 4' length log (if that).

Stu, your sled is kind of what I was thinking but it seemed to simple. I was thinking screws in a simple sled but it wasn't sure if it would hold adequately. Obviously it does. I didn't think about wedges and makes the difference there.

At first my thinking was holding the log and doing all the sawing. Then it occurred to me to build a taller fence for the subsequent cuts. Obviously I was on the right track but just wasn't sure.

5. Yeah Jeff, it is simple, that is why I like it (Keep It Simple Stupid) KISS is one of my favorite sayings

I have an infeed and outfeed roller stand, and this set-up works well.

One point, wax the BS table and fence before you start, helps a lot!

I use mine for cutting the round log into something that has two flat sides, a corner, if you will. I then put that corner on the table, against the fence, from there, I cut the wood how l like, into lumber, or into veneer.

When the sled becomes a bit wonky, then toss it and build another one.

Cheers!

Here is a picture of one but I can't find the actual instructions or web site. If I remember right the log is held in place with the lag screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff,
    I posted mine a while ago on this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...064#post136064

Bandsaw log sled ideas?

Jeff,

I've been thinking about the same thing. Here is a link to one I ran across. I like Stu's though, nice and simple. Oh, and another member Mike Cutler has a very good post about a sled.
    http://users.goldengate.net/%7Ekbrady/LogSled.html

Dave

Ted, thats pretty slick I think. Will keep that in the back of my mind.

Stewart and David, I found those after I posted. I did some searching but they seemed a bit more work than necessary. Of course I may change my mind. Think I am going along the lines of Stu's and see how it work. Got new blades in yesterday and a ton of firewood sized blanks in the shop. I need to get busy!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Ted, thats pretty slick I think. Will keep that in the back of my mind.

Stewart and David, I found those after I posted. I did some searching but they seemed a bit more work than necessary. Of course I may change my mind. Think I am going along the lines of Stu's and see how it work. Got new blades in yesterday and a ton of firewood sized blanks in the shop. I need to get busy!
    Don't forget pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
    Don't forget pictures!!
    I have been meaning to post photos of my last wood haul. I didn't get but half of what I was offered and it's good thing. My shop space is full of wood! I need to get to band sawing tonight. I got side tracked on a Japanese style Toggii gate arbor Craftsmany looking thing for the yard. Ready for some privacy in my back yard.

Search for Dominic

I think a creeker here named Dominic had a great idea that utilized a sled with a pipe clamp to hold the log. Search under his name or the archives.

Good Luck,

Jay