Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Giving just one piece of advice, what would it be...

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Graff
    " If you could give me just one piece of advice about woodworking, what would it be".
    It would be: If you think any one piece of advice is of overwhelming importance, you should consider a different hobby. Woodworking is much too complex to be reduced to a single aphorism.

Dave

"Don't listen to Ken". Whoops! Guess his advice was good this time.

Enjoy yourself or come back tomorrow.

David

3. Electric motors, even little 1/3hp ones, don't slow down a bit when cutting meat and bone. (DAMHIKT) Be mindful of where your fingers and hands are.

Roger

I would say this: The best woodworkers have ten fingers.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Think Saftey First!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Graff

" If you could give me just one piece of advice about woodworking, what would it be".
    ... the most wonderful occupation one can imagine!

Give him a well-sharpened handplane, a piece of wood and he'll immediately discover what it's all about. Making shavings ...ssssshhh...

Regards,

Christian

PS: Let him read some posts and show him some shop pics.
    Last edited by Christian Aufreiter; 09-13-2003 at 11:32 AM.

Have respect and regard for your power equipment,
    Especially spinning blades.
    Concentrate on the operation at hand and don't be distracted.
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Keep the glue bottle full.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    An old timer used to preach this to me when I was going through my machinist apprenticeship many years ago:

“There’s never enough time to do it right, but there’s always enough time to do it over.”
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Considering how many times I've had to adjust the dimensions of a product 'cos I just cut one piece 3/4" too short the mantra I always run in my head is "Everything has width"

the advice I try to remind myself all the time when I do woodworking has to do with not trying to rush to get things done whether because I'm excited to get to work or because I'm short on time:

"Slow Down - Think Clearly"

i have to say that safety is the first, but in most cases

you will always find yourself shopping around for a tool you already own, you just outgrew the one you have already

but that's ok, 2 tablesaws(supersaw/PM66), 2 routers (ryobi/PC), 2 bandsaws(jet/laguna), 2 mortising machines(leigh FMT/jds multirouter)2 dust collectors(jet650/jet1200), 2jointers(jet 6"/oliver10") later, i have almost replaced my entire shop with the equipment i should have gotten in the first place. but what did i know then?????

sascha

safety...safety...safety...
    chris

Always unplug each electrically powered tool after you have used it. This applies, in particular, to large pieces of eqipment. such as table saws.

15. If you have children turn off the power at the main and lock the box when you are not in the shop.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.