Thread: 'Sigh" .....Unisaw update #3 1/2

'Sigh" .....Unisaw update #3 1/2

Went by the motor shop expecting to pick up the motor and found it in pieces in two metal bins on the floor. Didn't look to promising to me. Then I noticed something in the bin and picked it up and it was new brushes in a plastic bag!

<insert a="" big="" sigh="" of="" relief="" right="" here="">>insert a big sigh of relief<

Someone that knew what was going on told me they were waiting on the brushes and would put it together Monday. The guy working on my motor was off today.

I am glad but I have had the saw completed for two weeks now. It sits there laying on it's side. I keep thinking I hear the Tin Man in Wizard of Oz singing:

</insert>
    When a man's an empty kettle
    He should be on his mettle
    And yet I'm torn apart
    Just because I'm presumin'
    That I could be kind of human
    If I only had a heart

<insert a="" big="" sigh="" here="" -="" thinks="" himself="" take="" planer="" motor="" to="" shop="" when="" i="" start="" the="" restoration="" on="" it="">
    </insert>
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 06-17-2006 at 9:36 AM.

Jeff,

You have the patience of a saint! Having that saur ready to play and no heart for it... I feel for ya.

Larry

I agree w/Larry on the patience part! However, it sounds like the electric motor boys are doing it right and it will be worth the wait in the long run!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jeff, hang in there, it'll be worth it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

5. Brushes? Unisaws use induction motors, which do not have brushes. Brushes are used in universal motors (routers, drills, direct drive table top saws, etc.)

Confused.....

Cheers
    Randy
    Cheers
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Gillard
    Brushes? Unisaws use induction motors, which do not have brushes. Brushes are used in universal motors (routers, drills, direct drive table top saws, etc.)

Confused.....
    It's a 1948 model with a R/I (Repulsion Induction) motor. It uses brushes.

The saw has been waiting nearly 60 years for you to come along, and now that you are here it teases you. Have you given her a name yet?
    Trees. Tools. Time.

Seems you've got the battle almost won. That will be a great saw! I'm looking for an older saw myself. Not sure what I'll end up with yet, still in the looking stages and nothing has followed me home yet.

However, my wife and kids are leaving for Japan for a month, and my wife commented that she wouldn't be surprised to find another machine in the garage when she comes back.

Now, let's face it. That's basically like giving her concent for me to go buy another machine, isn't it? That's what I thought...
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Alan - http://www.traditionaltoolworks.com:8080/roller/aland/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Vigder
    The saw has been waiting nearly 60 years for you to come along, and now that you are here it teases you. Have you given her a name yet?
    Well after the comments I got when I posted photos in another forum I am toying with a name. Since the comments were along the lines of 'why bother' and "nice blade".........I am thinking Lazarus. They obviously though it was dead.

Alan, I saw you post on OWWM forum. Didn't have anything to ad. Just keeping looking and it will come along. I did see a couple of Fay and Egans I think it was on the government liquidation auction site. Big cast iron monsters. I can't remember the name of the site now. But I am goingto start watching for belt/disk sander and I would love to have a monster band saw. Not sure why, it's just one of those things I would like to have.

Jeff,
    Don't know where you are but if there is Kudzu around it must be in the South.

Find a link to IRS Auctions (that isn't the government IRS). They are heavy into liquidating furniture plants, especially in the NC and VA area as well as on up in Yankee land. You will find monster bandsaws at auction frequently, both old cast iron and newer sheet metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    Alan, I saw you post on OWWM forum. Didn't have anything to ad. Just keeping looking and it will come along. I did see a couple of Fay and Egans I think it was on the government liquidation auction site. Big cast iron monsters. I can't remember the name of the site now. But I am goingto start watching for belt/disk sander and I would love to have a monster band saw. Not sure why, it's just one of those things I would like to have.
    I saw those Egans, there was 2 of them, and there was a couple 12-14s also, one on government liquidations. There's a few of them around, and there's also a Yates-American I'm waiting for pics on. I don't know if it's a G-89 or not, but I like those...there's some great saws out there going for dirt prices.

Who knows, I may end up looking for an old unisaw, it really just depends on what finds me.
    --
    Life is about what your doing today, not what you did yesterday! Seize the day before it sneaks up and seizes you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan DuBoff
    I saw those Egans, there was 2 of them, and there was a couple 12-14s also, one on government liquidations. There's a few of them around, and there's also a Yates-American I'm waiting for pics on. I don't know if it's a G-89 or not, but I like those...there's some great saws out there going for dirt prices.
    Alan, good luck in finding what you're after but, I hope you find a better price on one than "dirt prices"!!! 'Round here, dirt, especially black dirt, has gotten real expensive over the last few years!!! Now, if you can find one going at "used computer prices", you'll be all set!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Alan, I have looked at some of those bigger saws and decided (for now) thats now what I want. Now if I could find one complete I might bring it in and restore it and then put it up for sale. I Just can't imagine me moving one around by myself!! My Unisaw is enough to have to move around now. Sort of dreading moving it in place next week (if the motor is done that is!)

I doubt I would ever find one in my area anyway. This was more agricultural area and not much industry so big cast iron machines are very uncommon anyway. But I still hope to stumble on a big jointer or bandsaw. But I will just let it find me.

My next project is the Powermatic planer. Now that puppy has some cast iron in it. It's all I can do to move it around the shop by myself with a hand truck and it compact. Then after that I still have two drill presses, a scroll saw and the Shaper to do. So I am not looking for anything else. If it finds me thats another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Alan, good luck in finding what you're after but, I hope you find a better price on one than "dirt prices"!!! 'Round here, dirt, especially black dirt, has gotten real expensive over the last few years!!! Now, if you can find one going at "used computer prices", you'll be all set!
    If you think dirt is expensive where you live, don't come out west! I figure my house is worth about $200k, and my dirt is worth about $800k, you can do the math...(dollars to doughnuts you've probably got a nicer home...Jeff definitely has a nicer home, cause I've seen the pics of his work in progress and that dining room kicks @$$;-).
    Alan, I have looked at some of those bigger saws and decided (for now) thats now what I want. Now if I could find one complete I might bring it in and restore it and then put it up for sale. I Just can't imagine me moving one around by myself!! My Unisaw is enough to have to move around now. Sort of dreading moving it in place next week (if the motor is done that is!)
    I hear 'ya Jeff, and you're not singin' in unison, there's other unisaw owners singing with 'ya.;-)
    I doubt I would ever find one in my area anyway. This was more agricultural area and not much industry so big cast iron machines are very uncommon anyway. But I still hope to stumble on a big jointer or bandsaw. But I will just let it find me.
    To some extent you buy what finds you, when you're looking for old tools. There are saws around my parts, and I've missed out on a couple that seemed nice. I need to follow up on the Yates-American, to find out. I might end up with a unisaw, I don't know, but I want to look into all options and see what "finds me".
    My next project is the Powermatic planer. Now that puppy has some cast iron in it. It's all I can do to move it around the shop by myself with a hand truck and it compact. Then after that I still have two drill presses, a scroll saw and the Shaper to do. So I am not looking for anything else. If it finds me thats another matter.
    You're getting to that point where you're gonna need a pallet jack!

Ultimately, whatever saw I buy I want to move to my new shop when I can build it. This saw will be building a house for my family, similar to your unisaw, and maybe I'll end up with a unisaw.

Seems that folks were trying to talk me out of the Atlas/Clausing/DeWalt saws...those are pretty cool, IMO, as are the Boice-Cranes. This all started a couple or three weeks ago when I missed out on a Wilton (re-badged Boice-Crane) for $50. It got me to thinking that I could get a better saw and sell my current saw. Not that my Ridgid 3612 is not a good saw, it's in fact an excellent saw that I will sell reasonable to someone when I find another saw. It calibrates really nice and cuts well. It just can't handle the 8/4 hardwoods too well.

I cut up about 150-200 bf of hard maple the past couple weeks and it does fine on 4/4. It can handle 8/4 if I'm patient, but not 8/4 hardwoods too well. A unisaw would handle that for me, no question, but then so would a 12-14, or a Yates-American, or Eagan, Tannie, or other similar. Sounds like the 12-14 could be converted fairly easily to a single phase as it uses belts. The Yates-American I'm looking into has a phase converter on it already.
    --