Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fathers Day+ New Grill...Opinions Wanted

Fathers Day+ New Grill...Opinions Wanted

Well ..I spent all last weekend trying to breath new life into my 5 year old Kenmore Elite grill. It never really did it for me...stainless steel looked awful after the first year and the heat was never all that even...hot in spots...but the whole front closest to the knobs was never hot....so I am going to grab a new one....obviously Weber is on the list...and I do not want stainless again. Any good grills i should look at? I really want the fancy weber charcoal grill but it may not be practical as we do alot of midweek BBQ's and gas is easier.

hi Tim: BoSox looking good today vs Atlanta but Josh is faltering in the 5th. I love Weber and I have the gas for convenience. (You can grill year round). Its the only grill I've ever had where the electric starter still works (first press) every time and its over 6 years old. My son had a big gas grill (can't remember brand name) and he switched back to Weber last summer. They are a little more $ than others but IMHO worth it!! Schilling pitches tommorrow...
    Jerry

Tim, I don't think you can go wrong with the Weber line. I've got a stainless Brinkmann 4-burner gas grill, and although the looks have stayed fine, it's never cooked evenly, regardless of the tiles/ceramic briquettes/lava media I've tried. I've got an ancient Kmart twin burner that's got more even heat than the Brinkmann.

- Vaughn

I've been seeing adverts on TV that there is 10% off at Lowes this weekend.

Just go buy it.

edit: The big one; Get the big one.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Okay, Serious now.

Here is a pic of the first few top rated grills from Consumer Reports.

I'M NOT AGREEING OR DISAGREEING WITH PREVIOUS POSTS. I'm not what you'd call a Master BBQ'er; If I can cook chicken or hamburgers on the grill without burning it to a crisp, then I've done a good job.

I'm just posting this to try to help and give info. Please don't hurt me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Rios; 06-17-2006 at 6:23 PM.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Weber Genisis Silver or the current equivalent. Cooks Illustrated tested a bunch of them awhile back, including some high-end $3000 jobbies and the Weber took the prize. I got mine at HD...love it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Okay, Serious now.

I'M NOT AGREEING OR DISAGREEING WITH PREVIOUS POSTS. I'm not what you'd call a Master BBQ'er; If I can cook chicken or hamburgers on the grill without burning it to a crisp, then I've done a good job.

I'm just posting this to try to help and give info. Please don't hurt me.
    Thanks for the link( and to everyone who loves the weber)...I just got back from HD...no grill yet.

I did not like the VT casting grills.(even if I am from vermont)...back in the day they were top shelf grills...but the ones i saw at HD were small and nothing special.

The weber silver is nice...but I have had enough of the porcelain/cast iron grates, and would like to try the stainless steel grates. They had the Weber genesis "gold" that was identical to the silver...except it had the SS grates, and the flavor bars were better quality on the gold..and it was 10% off. I almost snagged it but I decided to take another day and sleep on it.

On a side note...th eburners were identical in all the grills at HD...kind of a stanless stel bar with holes in it...is this the new standard?

Just to add to the Weber chorus, I've had charcoal Weber Kettles for 25 years, last Easter the Bunny brought me a Genesis Silver. It was a pre-assembled model from the Depot and was missing a few parts and pieces.

A call to the Weber 800 number resulted in a package on the front step a few days later and I was in biz.

The push to spark always works, the thermo is accurate and the casters work. Hard to beat a winner.

Can't recommend Mr. Weber's product highly enough.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, who just finished a T-Bone on the Weber!
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

I've got a Weber Genesis Gold. Second one I've owned. Bought the first in 1984. Put it to rest two years ago. I use it all year, even up here. I just heard that Vermont Casting and another big name are owned by Weber also. Not sure about it, but if they are then I'd not hesitate on one of those name brands.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rios
    Ooh, they liked my new CharBroil!
    (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29142)
    Only had it since Christmas, but sure like it so far.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    I've got a Weber Genesis Gold. Second one I've owned. Bought the first in 1984. Put it to rest two years ago. I use it all year, even up here. I just heard that Vermont Casting and another big name are owned by Weber also. Not sure about it, but if they are then I'd not hesitate on one of those name brands.

Karl
    Ducane is also owned by weber now.

Tim.........I bought a Weber Genesis when they weren't called Genesis Silver or Gold. I can buy parts for the Silver and they fit mine sometimes requiring some minor modifications. I think they only made this model for a a year or two and then went to those you see today. I've lost track of how many years I've had it but it seems like forever and the Doggone thing just won't quit so I can find an excuse to buy another one. My neighbor suckered me into to buying it. A few years later he bought his. Good luck with your decision!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Another Weber fan here. The wife and I enjoy ours. In fact, it was pork on the grill tonight after roughly nine hours straight of yard work around the house in fairly high humidity.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I bought a 3 burner brinkmann from walmart. what I wanted in a grill was at least three burners so I could do indirect cooking after looking at other grills I bought this one because the burners ran front to back instead of side to side I thought that would give even heating. I have only had two days and only cooked two meals on it I'm happy with it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Tim, most anything from the Weber "family" and you'll be good to go!!! We went with the Silver a few years back and have been real happy with it.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!