Thread: Still undecided as to which router to buy

Still undecided as to which router to buy

Hello,
    I’m still trying to decide which router to buy for my Bosch router table. I continue to like the Bosch 2 1/4 HP 1617EVSPK combo kit. I am aware of the two previous problems with this router, the possibility of the on-off switch failure and the corrosion problem on the old magnesium housing, but I know that both problems have been corrected with the newer machines. I’ve also looked at the DeWalt DW618 combo kit as well as the Porter-Cable 893 combo kit. I like both of these, but the feel of the Bosch seems better to me than the other two, at least it does when I examine them on the shelf at Lowe’s, and they are all compatible with the mounting plate on my Bosch table.
    Does anyone know of any reason why I might be disappointed with the Bosch as my choice?
    Louis

Louis,

Couple of questions here. Are you using it strictly table mounted? Or do you plan on doing a little of both? All three are good brands/choices.

If strictly table mounted then I'd probably go with the lowest costing of the three.

If you're going to use it as a handheld too, then I'd recommend that you try and get them into your hands - do that touchy feely thing with them. You want it to be both comfortable and easy to work with for you.

Myself, I went with the DW618, I love the feel of it and to me the plunger base was the smoothest of them all - really love it. This isn't to say that you'll feel the same so... I use mine strictly hand held btw.

Hope this helps!

Larry

Larry,
    Whichever brand I choose, I plan to keep the fixed base in the router table and use the plunge base as my handheld unit. All three, the Bosch, the DeWalt and the PC are within a few dollars of each other, so price isn't a consideration. I just want to buy one router kit, but I'd like to make the best choice.
    Louis

Louis

I have had the 1617 mounted under my router table for 2 years and have yet to experience any of the problems described. I do blow my router out every few weeks to insure dust does not settle in the switch.

Unless you are using yours in a commerical production shop I don't think you will have any problems. The switch problem occured in the earlier production models and I believe has be corrected.\

Dave
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt
    I just want to buy one router kit, but I'd like to make the best choice.
    Louis,

Do you have a Home Depot near you? Or some store that sells the router(s) you're looking at? If so, get them to let you hold one. Honestly, any of the three will do you fine - I feel it comes down to which is the most comfortable for you.

Failing any stores near you, then my suggestion would be the Dewalt. I say this because I have one and really like it a lot. Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm sure others will say their brand is the the best too for probably the same reasons as I have said mine.

Sorry I can't be of much more help than this.

Larry

Larry,
    Yes, we have both Home Depot and Lowe's stores here, and Lowe's carries all three routers that I mentioned. I've looked and handled all three of them, and as I said, I like the feel of the Bosch a little better than the other two, but being a novice in routing, I'm not sure that my short examination is sufficient to make the best choice.
    Louis

I have 8 routers and the Bosch is my favorite...I had the pitting case problem and they replaced it....I love the control ergonomics
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

You can't go wrong in my opinion with the Bosch or the Dewalt. I went with the Dewalt because it felt the great to me, go with the Bosch if it feels good to you, can't go wrong.

Corey

I have the Bosch 1617 and the PC 890 series routers. I use the PC in a table and the Bosch (with a D Handle) for hand held work. The thing I don't like about the Bosch is the fine adjustment. On the PC I can crank the router fully up or down with the fine adjustment. On the Bosch, you only get a certain amount of fine adjustment. Once you hit the end of the fine adjustment, you have to go to the coarse adjustment and move the motor up or down and center the fine adjustment. I don't hit this all the time but when I do it's a pain in the a**.

I suppose it's the corrosion problem you're referring to but another problem I have with the Bosch is that I have to lubricate the outside of the motor so that it will move. Otherwise, I have to loosen the adjustment on the clamp, which leads to the motor moving up or down when in use. I really wanted a D handle for safety in hand held work, but I don't think I'd buy the Bosch again.

I've been very happy with the PC.

Mike

PC890 series

Louis,

I have the PC 890 in the table and agree with Mr Henderson that the fine adjustment that is more or less infinite is a very handy feature. Although I have a Festool OF1000 for most handheld routing, I do have the plunge base for the PC so I can swap it back and forth if needed. I find the PC easy to handle and easy to operate.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.

louis, i`m a big portercable router fan but i don`t like the 800 series. my opinion of these routers is that they where designed by a pencil-necked geek who needed to justify his existance in some cubicle in the portercable office complex. the 690 series as well as the 78xx and 310`s are the routers i use. these all are time proven over the years by lots more folks than myself........02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

Louis, I have the Bosch combo you are looking at. My only complaint is the location of the off/on switch. When used in the table its ok, butwhen hand held it is awkward for me. Otherwise its a fine router.

I don't have the Bosch, but have both the PC890 and the DW618. I totally agree with Corey on the feel of the 618. It's great. The 890 was my first router purchase and based more on the PC reputation than actual hands on experience. Its purchase was not one of my better decisions. It stays in the table.