Thread: Probably Stupid HVLP Question

Probably Stupid HVLP Question

Hello all,

I have been contemplating getting a HVLP system or a HVLP Gun. Questions are as follows

1. I have a 33 gallon Compressor is that enough of a compressor where i can use just a HVLP gun and enjoy the benefits of HVLP.

2. Do i need to get one of those all in one systems like the harbor freight one ?

3. Can you recommend a HVLP Gun for my compressor / setup. Or if I need an all in one system should I buck up and get the harbor freight model?

I am still a novice and would like to learn to spray instead on wipe/brush poly. The Finish looks nicer to spray it seems. I would be spraying in the garage and it seems HVLP is the way to go with hardly any overspray.

Ben
    Still trying not to Take Life so Seriously !!

Well, not exactly...

..you're gonna' get overspray. Depends on how much you spray. I wouldn't close myself up in a garage and spray, though. You can use a conversion HVLP with a 5hp, 30 gal compressor, but it'll run quite a bit. Remember when buying anything, cheap is cheap. I use a knock-off conversion gun, but it cost about $325.00. You can use an enexpensive siphon gun and spray lacquer out doors. You really need an exhaust system for indoor spraying, though.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Ben, the CFM/@PSI requirements of the Gun you decide on, along with the CFM/@PSI output of your compressor, will tell you what will work together. If the CFM requirements of the gun are greater then your compressor's capacity, it won't work (or at least, won't work well).

What Todd said about choosing a gun. The Wagner gun I use worked fine with my old 20 gallon compressor, although it ran constantly...it's much better with my current 60 gallon compressor.

BTW, spraying polyurethane or any other oil-based varnish is like turning your shop into one big piece of fly-paper. Your overspray will stay sticky far longer than you might imagine. Further, you really need a proper environment to safely spray any solvent-based finish. You might want to consider one of the water borne finishes, such as USL from Target Coatings or something from Fuhr International or similar as you move to spraying your finishes. You still need personal protection so you don't inhale the stuff, but don't have the fumes and other dangerous qualities that solvent-based stuff exhibits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...