Thread: Source for Krenov style Cabinet plans?

Source for Krenov style Cabinet plans?

I have been really enjoying my latest book "The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" by James Krenov. If you haven't read it you should do your damndest to find the book and read it. Absolutely excellent. The man was a geneous and just an amazing artist with all sorts of woods. He embrassed the color and grains of wood to do some great trippy stuff to the eye. Example, if he built a standard square cabinet he would use certain grain patterns for the door frame to almost make these cabinets look rounded.

Anyways, I am looking for some rough plans or maybe just some examples of cabinets in the Krenov style to go by on my next project or projects. Has anyone ever stumbled across any decent plans for Krenov stuff. The book I have is in black and white and really lacks in detail on some of the stuff in it therefore am missing many of the colors and some of the details of his construction style. Anything on Krenov furniture in general would be appreciated. He is very new to me and I am really taking a liking to his style.

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but once you've read all 3 of his books you get a pretty solid idea of his joinery decisions and the rationale for them. I found that I got to the point where I would say, "How would Krenov have thought about this ( box, table, cabinet )?" and end up with a satisfying result. You ask a good question. I would find a catalog of his work, with plans or not, extremely interesting.

In addition to the articles printed in Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking, etc. the single best source for high-quality photos of Krenov's work is in his 4th book "Worker in Wood". Great stuff!

I've personally never seen any detailed plans for Krenov's cabinets. In one respect, plans would be the antithesis of Krenov's whole approach. Sort of like buying a Paint by Numbers version of the Mona Lisa!

Regards,

Ron

You could go to james krenov's www site for an idea of what he made, but as said earlier, if you read his books, you will find more information there. There is something unique in every piece of wood and he was a proponent of using the right wood for a design. Not try to force a piece of wood into an idea. It either works or it doesn't. While he is most noted for his 'cabinet on a stand' designs, he truly mad a wide array of furniture. Look for some pictures on the internet. You will be amazed. But before you begin one of his cabinets, you have to ask yourself how dedicated are you to the FINE details. The small nuances that make a simple piece into something wonderful. The slide of a drawer, the pressure when closing a door, the ease of the piece on the eyes. You've read his books it's all in there. And yes I am a HUGE fan of the late James Krenov. (like that's new news. )
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

I've personally never seen any detailed plans for Krenov's cabinets. In one respect, plans would be the antithesis of Krenov's whole approach. Sort of like buying a Paint by Numbers version of the Mona Lisa!
    Yeah I sort of agree with this comment and really this is not what I meant by the thread per say. I am no dought a fairly new woodworker but do have a bit of experience with some peices. I'm pure hobbiest and could never make a living at it as I am such a perfectionist. This is why I think I relate a bit to Jim's style philosiphy on woodworking. I suppose I will have to pick up a few more of his books and gain a better understanding of most of his joinery techniques and design thought processes. I actually haven't even finished the first book but just got so influenced by what I have read that I want to jump in full steam ahead on a small Krenov inspired cabinet. What little I have seen of his peices really don't show very close up veiws of them to really understand the way they go together. But like has already been posted I need to finish the book I'm reading and check a few more of them out to gain a better understanding. Just getting a little excited is all. And yes I am up for the minute details he put into things such as drawer slides, dealling with wood color and grain, drawer operations, etc. This fits my personality to tinker with stuff until it is perfect to my eye and feel and should really seem good to the uninitiated.

I agree if you asked him for plans it would get ugly real fast.
    Tom

I think Krenov's books are like any good book or movie series...they are best read in the sequence in which they were written.

I just recently purchased "The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking" because I've been reading and re-reading "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook" for a few years now. "Notebook" tells you the why, while "Fine Art" tells the how. I think to succeed in the how, one must first know the why from Krenov's viewpoint.

I've never attempted a Krenov-style piece but after reading "Notebook" so many times, his approach, his reverence for the wood and his uncompromising methods are always a part of my woodworking, coaxing and sometimes chiding me to do my best...whatever that may be.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Along with Krenov Books you can also follow blogs from those who build in his style. Hopefully it's ok to post these links. You can find others who studied at Inside Passage. Krenov's Worker in Wood is full of great photos that will give you an idea of the actual size of his cabinets and other details.

http://barbarashelton.blogspot.com/
    http://derrevo.blogspot.com/
    http://nelsonwoodcraft.blogspot.com/
    http://mockitupjp.blogspot.com/
    http://jodyracicot.blogspot.com/
    http://residentcraftsman.blogspot.com/
    DJO Furniture Maker / Timberwerks Studio

The only plans for a Krenov-style piece of furniture was in a recent issue of Fine Woodworking magazine; one of the chest on stand styles. Other than that, try to get your mitts on the books that originally started it all. These are all you need to get you started. After going through them more than once, you will get some ideas of your own.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.