Thread: Why the left side?

Cool Why the left side?

I've been looking at a number of brand options for a replacement table saw (CS). I note that, regardless of right or left tilt, the dust collection appears to always happen on the left side (as you're facing the saw). Furthermore, it's always a 4" port. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the dust collection typically route in from the right side of the saw? I say this because, most can't bury their ducts under the floor, so one ends up coming in from above. For obvious reasons, it would be awkward to run a solid line from above over to the left side of the table, so most folks do the opposite, then run flex or similar over to the DC port. This usually results in a pair of 90* turns, pretty much back to back before hitting the main drop run. The efficiency leaves a lot to be desired. The efficiency, I believe, also takes a hit with the 4" port.

Anyone out there block off the factory port and installed a 6" port on the right side? If/when I get a CS, I'd seriously consider doing just that. Of course, it'd be much easier to know if it works by way of a fellow WW, who may have already tried that.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Unless they've changed it, the JET right tilt comes out the right side under the motor cover. That's one of the reasons I'm happy with it...other side wouldn't be good at all in my shop. I'm pretty sure I saw an older Powermatic the other day that also came out the right.

Your comments about the hose/pipe have always bothered me, too. Doesn't make much sense.

KC

My Unisaw comes out on the right side underneath the motor cover. It's about 6 years old so I don't know if they still come out on that side or not. It has a 5 inch outlet on the fitting that came with it but I'm going to change it to 6. It just looks like a register hood for HVAC.

My Jet LT has the port on the left under the motor cover. In my current shop configuration, that's fine. Once I stop moving so much (in the Navy), then I'll look at changing it to what fits the shop. And it will be to a bigger 6 inch opening. The only problem with moving it from the left is that there is a sloped pan in the bottom. That would have to be modified to slope in whatever new direction the port was.

Be well,

Doc

I think that Terry Hatfield changed the port location on his saw. I've toyed with moving mine, but it's a low-priority project. I'd re-route it to the right and change the floor pan around so it tilts in that direction. I already put a bent piece of laminate in the motor cover to eliminate accumulation there...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw came without any dust port opening. The motor hangs out of the saw cabinet on the right side. There was an optional cover for this, but for 30.00 I opted to make mine which I did.
    On the left side, there was a vent cover with loovers in it. I removed this cover and with two pieces of plywood sandwiching the cab side between them, made a dust port. This could have been done on the right side, but would have had to attach it to the cover, which is opened frequently. At the time, the left side was more convinent. Now, where my saw sits, the outfeed side of the saw would be better, as I have a outfeed table there. But that would mean cutting another hole in the saw cabinet. I'm kinda anal about cutting holes and stuff in my equipment. I remember when I got my power feeder. I really did not want to bore holes in the table top. So I mounted the power feed foot to a block of oak, then c-clamped it to the table top. But it move to much, so had to grit my teeth and bore 4 holes in the table top anyway.
    Steve