Thread: Dresser for Son's Room

Ryan Woodward Guest

Dresser for Son's Room

Here are some pics of the dresser that I have built for my son. Of course, LOML wanted this done before our daughter was born so that we could move my son's furniture in to her room. I am only 14 weeks late.

The dresser has a solid cherry top and solid cherry drawer faces. The dust frames are cherry on the outside and plywood on the inside. The panels on the side are 1/4" cherry plywood that I laminated to mdf, and the drawer boxes are maple. Thanks to Tom at Lumber Logs for the beautiful wood. If you live anywhere near the 'Lou, I highly recommend you check out his selection. My only complaint about the project is that I don't currently have the ability to resaw (a bandsaw is my next purchase) and planing Tom's 4/4 (which is really like 5/4) down to size took a whole Saturday and Sunday.

The finish will be the General Finish products that David Marks uses.

Some of the drawer faces are lighter due to my inability to measure correctly on the original pieces. If anyone could relate their experience in darkening cherry in the sun, that would be helpful.

Please comment, but remember this is just my third furniture project (after lots of shop projects).

I apologize for the quality of the pics...a photog I am not.

Woody
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ryan Woodward; 06-20-2006 at 9:59 PM.

Welcome to the Creek, Ryan. Do stop by frequently and splash around.

I like the straight forward design and implementation of your dresser. It is refreshing to see a piece that is not a reproduction of some thing done 100 years ago. Post more pictures when you have the finish on and the hardware installed.
    Best Regards, Ken

Welcome to the Creek Ryan.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Let me add my welcome to the Creek also, Ryan. To echo Ken's comment, I like the straightforward design of the dresser. Be sure to post some pics once you get the finish and hardware on it.

In my limited experience, I've seen cherry colors even out on their own. I'd think the drawer fronts will darken to the same general color in a relatively short time.

- Vaughn

Ryan,

Me too. I like the the design, especially the side panels.
    I'd be interested in seeing it with handles.

Thanks for sharing.

Pete

Welcome to the 'Creek, Ryan!

Your dresser is a fine piece and really great for a 3rd project. Relative to your question about exposing your cherry to sunlight, it's a nice thing to do and will help speed up the process of the coloration getting more even. Put an application of BLO (boiled linseed oil) on the piece before doing your "exposures" and it will help bring out the rich color. Just flood it on with a disposable towel...let it soak in for about a half hour...wipe off any excess...and then hang the rag(s) on a nail in the breeze somewhere "not near" your house. (Oil soaked rags can spontaneously combust and cause a fire...dispose of carefully) You can then use your chosen GF finishing product in about a week after the BLO has cured. (Many of us use a barrier coat of de-waxed garnet shellac over the oil on cherry to further enrich the coloration before top-coating)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nice job, ryan! are you using concealed undermounted drawer slides like blum solo? BTW did you get the stots dovetail template master yet?

Welcome to the Creek, Ryan. A friendlier bunch of folks would be hard to find. (Except for the occasional tool war!) A great looking dresser and thanks for posting pics first thing.
    Cheers,
    Bob

I measure three times and still mess it up.