Thread: Another Table Saw Question

Another Table Saw Question

I posted a question several days ago asking if I should get the Delta 36-680 or the Jet 708304K. Thanks again to everybody who responded.

Many people who responded suggested that if at all possible I should get a hybrid or cabinet saw. Since my budget tops out at $800 a cabinet saw is out of the question. I have done some more research and realize that the Delta 36-715 can be had for about $800 shipped. I can also get the 36-682 or the Jet 708304K for about the same price. The biggest difference I see is that the 715 has a T2 fence, the 682 has a Biesmeyer, and the Jet has an Xacta fence.

Is the 715 still more desirable with the T2 fence? Or, should I get a contractors saw with a better fence?

Thanks,
    Keith

I have a Jet Contractor saw and find it does everything I need. The Cabinate saws have better dust collection but I think this goes away with the hybrids. If it were me I'd go with the contractor saw and better fence.

Keith,

As you know, I have the 36-680 with the T2 and like it a lot...no regrets at all. But, with your budget, I'd go with the 682 with the Biesemeyer fence. It is the "standard" that others look at. The dust control can be addressed. I just mounted the Herc-U-lift on my 680 and the mobility is great...for $29. Acquiring some additional tools for your saw will make it even more useful.

Greg

keith, a well made fence will make using the saw much more enjoyable. one that permits the use of shop-made jigs is a very good idea, those that are square or rectangular in cross section are much easier to build jigs for....02 tod
    TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN; I ACCEPT FULL LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MY POSTS ON THIS FORUM, ALL POSTS ARE MADE IN GOOD FAITH CONTAINING FACTUAL INFORMATION AS I KNOW IT.

36-715

I have the 36-715 (T2 fence). I feel it works great. I think it's stikingly similar to the B fence...

Who would have thought this would be such a hard decision?

Let's take the 715 off the table and focus on the Delta 36-682 and Jet 708304K. The Delta has 1 cast iron wing on the left side of the blade and a wood table insert on the right side. It also has the biesemeyer fence. The jet has a cast iron wing on both sides of the blade and the xacta fence. Is there a significant difference in these two fences? If the fences are a wash I tend to lean toward the Jet because it has two cast iron wings.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Keith

If you can save for an extra month or three, the G1023S shipped is at about $950...not much over your budget.

As to the two fences...they are nearly identical. Biesemeyer is the original and the Xacta-fence is one of "many" copies of the design. I personally would prefer the two cast iron wings, myself...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Delta right extension table that came with my contractor's saw is made of particleboard and is laminated on one side only (even I know better than to do that ) It has sagged at least 1/16" in the middle, but that hasn't affected cut quality or accuracy.

See if you can try out both fences somewhere. The Bies. is great, but if another fence stays square just as well, then that's all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer
    I have a Jet Contractor saw and find it does everything I need. The Cabinate saws have better dust collection but I think this goes away with the hybrids. If it were me I'd go with the contractor saw and better fence.
    No reason to think that the improved DC goes away with a hybrid...it's one of the advantages that a hybrid has in common with a cabinet saw.

This is a tough question Keith, that can really only be answered by what your preferences are. The contractor saw design has no advantages over the hybrid, however in this case, the Biese and Exacta are the more premium fences. The T2 appears very capable of the task at hand, which is to provide stable guidance parallel to the blade for a safe rip cut. I'm a Biese owner and a Biese fan, but having gone from a loaded GI contractor saw to a 22124 hybrid (both with Biese's) I don't know if the Biese is superior enough to the T2 to offset all the other advantages a hybrid offers. In the end thet both adequately perform the same function for rips, and isn't even a factor for crosscuts. FWIW, I've only toyed with the T2 but have never used one in a shop. The added foot space, mass/stability, improved DC, and even some power gains from the shorter drive belts of the hybrid shouldn't be quickly overlooked, but they're not huge advantages that I'd have realized fully without actually making such a jump. I loved my GI and thought it was the cat's meow, but I honestly think I'd forfeit a Biese for the T2 before giving up all the other benefits...tough call though...I want both!

I agree with Jim and others who point out that a cabinet saw is a more robust machine, but don't overlook the electrical requirements. Alot boils down to just how serious you're going to get. 5 years in, I'm pretty satisfied with what I've got, but I do keep my eyes peeled for deals I can't pass up!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 06-22-2006 at 12:37 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Jet Contractors Saw

Hello,
    This is my first post, with regard to the Jet contractors saw. I had that saw for about 4 years and I just replaced it. I was completely happy with the Jet, it had the accu fense and was dead on. I replaced it with the Powermatic PM2000. And I love this new saw. I have had it for about 2 weeks. I would put the Jet up against any other contractor saw out there.
    Thanks
    Mike

[quote=Jim Becker]If you can save for an extra month or three, the G1023S shipped is at about $950...not much over your budget.

I agree with Jim. You should consider a cabinet saw if you're already up to $800. They generally have more "true"HP, better trunion and underpinnings and improved DC. Overall, just a better class of saw for WWing IMHO...The fence is a separate issue but the BMyer is a goodun'.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    If you can save for an extra month or three, the G1023S shipped is at about $950...not much over your budget.
    Keith, I'll third this suggestion too.

If you're going to go the contractor saw route, why not buy a used one? There are tons of these for sale everywhere. Of course this begs the question "why are there so many for sale?" and the answer is that most people that buy the contractor saw end up buying a cabinet saw. Buying a used one will lessen the loss factor if/when you sell it to get a cabinet saw.

Buying a used one will give you more money for other tools and accessories too. Personally, I'd really try my best for a cabinet or hybrid. It most likely will be the last saw you'll buy.

Larry

Congratulations Keith!

For a first project, might I suggest a crosscutting sled? Matter of fact, I need to make a new one myself...

Larry

Well, I went today and got the Delta 36-980. Lowe's had them advertised for $599.00 and I asked them if they could take 10% off of that and they did. The saw also came with two mail in rebates (lowe's gift cards) totaling $85.00. So I got the saw for right at $500.00. I figured this would hold me over for a while while I get started in woodworking and develop my skills. Now I have to find a good first project and make some sawdust.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my questions, your input was very helpful.

Keith

Congrats, Keith...

I think you are going to like the saw, and it's going to do well for you for many years. What fence did you get, the T2 30? Accessories? Look forward to your projects.
    Last edited by Greg Koch; 06-25-2006 at 2:17 AM.