Thread: Weekend doin's - pine coffee table PICS

Weekend doin's - pine coffee table PICS

Well, while I'm waiting for the wife to get home so I can run out and get some stain, here's what I was up to this weekend.

I was given two 6'X 10.5" X 3.5" Spruce/Pine (don't know the difference) planks that were quite dry.

So here's what I came up with, based on a photo I found on the web.
    Couldn't see the bottom of the from the photo, so I'd assumed the legs were mortised into the top. Wish I had a longer straight bit, as these mortices are only 1 1/4" deep. Wish they could have been 2", but wasn't up to trying to handle this tabletop under the drill press. They seem pretty solid though.

There are five 10" middle sections, with are splined together with some 1.5" strips of 5/8 MDF. The sides are tongue and grooved onto this middle section.

Being tired of "glueup madness", I thought I had everything planned so it would go smooth....NOT! I was running around with clamps in one hand and a hammer in the other. Quite glad no one was video taping!

This was my first "metal free" project. Quite fun. I'll post more when I get the finish on there (some "spanish" colored stain, so the SWMBO tells me).

I'm going to put a conditioner on first, then a couple of coats of the stain (oil), and then 4 or 5 coats of poly. Does this sound alright, as this table is going to see some wear?
    It matters if you just don't give up.
    .....Stephen Hawking

That certainly is a "robust" table, Scott! Nice job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice Scott, You have more vision than me. I have had three pine 4X4's for a long time now and couldn't figure out what to do with them. Coffee table isn't in my plans however yours looks real good. Can't really tell, did you chamfer the top edges also?

Nice job Scott. I've always liked the 'heavier' stout looking pieces of furniture. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-14-2003 at 8:44 PM.
    Tony

Thumbs up

Scott,

Do you use a crane or forklift to move that thing around? NIce job!

Bob

Scott,

My wife calls this the "Fred Flintstone" look (she's a long-time finish carpenter, but she tends to call all A&C and Mission furniture that, too). But don't take it the wrong way - it's not an insult. Personally, I like that kind of chunky look - you must have had a good bit of fun figuring how you wanted it to come out. Nice work.

- Ed

Doug - it wasn't my imagination (I don't seem to have one). I had downloaded a truckload of table pics for the wife to chose from. This is the one she liked the most

Bob - no forklift, but my back had some words for me after the 20th time I had to flip this thing over. I'm just glad I didn't try to make this out of birch!

here's mine with the stain she picked out...note the lack of cross supports on the legs...I ran out of pine! Weirdly enough, she couldn't be happier on how it turned out.

Also, no comments on my bench/table saw. Man, do I need to get to work on a bigger bench!

It matters if you just don't give up.
    .....Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Campbell
    Also, no comments on my bench/table saw. Man, do I need to get to work on a bigger bench!
    All you need is a taller version of that table and you have a very sturdy bench...well, may be a few small changes to best accomodate woodworking tasks, but there are a lot of similarities that you can play off on.

You did a great job on that table!