Thread: Need some help- working on a collection plate

Need some help- working on a collection plate

I got this pecan from a minister who has just started a church. I decided I'd make a collection plate, but I am having some trouble with the design. Here is what I have so far, and it is just roughed out, so I can make changes. The rim looks flat in the pic but is actually at the same angle as it is on the underside. Any ideas?

Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think it is a winner the way it is Ernie. I would just finish turn it and add some finish and call it done! Very nice gift Ernie and I am sure he will love it.
    Corey

I think it looks great, too. I might flatten the bottom. They need to be very stable to sit on communion tables, alters, wherever. I would think in terms of a regular plate--the bottom is usually flat clear out to where the sides start going up. But the shape is really nice. He will be very happy, especially if he can start filling it up on Sundays!

Earl
    "Life is a work of art designed by the one who lives it."

I think that the inside is deep enough, so I would take most of the wood off the outside when finish turning. Shape looks good. Agree that it need to have a nice, stable base and not too much weight in the final piece. He will love it.

5. If it was my church I'd want it bigger.........

Just kidding. I also have volunteered to turn a couple of plates for a new church that started recently (my in-laws attend there). So I'm glad to see your's here. Looks good to me. The main thing to me is that it is easy to grab and hold onto if it's being passed from person to person.

Good work!

I think it's a nice flowing design. One thing you need to accomplish, however, is to get the thickness reduced to an even amount throughout the form...and it has to be somewhat thin because a collection plate really can't be "heavy". Can you do that with that form? This is obviously in addition to Mark's comments that the plate needs to be easy to handle by folks of all ages.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ernie I like it as is. I would make sure like Jim said and make it as thin as you can. At least 1/4". Put some finish on it and go. Nice job.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I don't think you will need to worry about weight, Pecan is usually
    pretty light when dry. I like it a lot, as Jim mentioned getting
    the thickness even will make or break it. Then again as it will be
    passed around & handled by a lot of people & you don't want the
    rim to thin...I've been thinking of making one of those out of Mesquite.
    Be sure and post the finished plate.

Well, I hope you have a wealth parish as that beauty will hold a lot of cash! Phil
    Philip

My initial concern was also the rim and how durable it will be as that will be the most susceptible to breakage. You may also want to make sure the plates will stack together nicely if you're making more than one or as a set.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Another thought is to line the bottom of the plate with some felt. This will keep any coins from bouncing out. I know they should be putting in bills and checks but frequently parents will give there kids coins to put in the plate.

Wow, great feedback everyone. Thank you very much.

Ernie

similar thoughts

My only thoght were to the fact that this will be passed down the pew.. rim will need to be strong enough as that is likely what folks will hold onto.. otherwise it looks great!

Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop