Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Childrens/Kids Desk Design

Childrens/Kids Desk Design

Well, this may well get moved to the design forum but I'll start it here nevertheless.

I'm looking for ideas on a design of a kid's desk. My wife is into the "Pottery Barn" designs/styles and thus I imagine the wood will be birch/poplar and it will all be painted white . It'll still be fun!

She is currently 4.5 years old and I want something that will grow with her for a while...perhaps the next 4-5 years?? I'm not sure about how to design something what will grow with her but I'm looking forward to links, ideas, plans, etc.

Thanks!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Given her current stature, something with adjustable height would preserve longevity without requiring a "tall chair" at present. I'm finding this to be a situation with our six year old in many cases.

One thing you didn't mention was whether you wanted something that is just a surface (nice for younger kids 'cause they can also play UNDER it) or something with storage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your 4.5 year old is like my 4.5 year old, I would look at something other than painted wood for the top surface. Think washable. Even better, washable with solvent that removes permanent marker.

Along the lines of what Jim was saying, my daughter won't sit on her butt for more than a minute or two and then she's up on her knees. I expect that will stay that way until she gets a tall enough that that is uncomfortable for her. When she uses the computer or colors at the kitchen table she doesn't have any problems with the surface height. Before deciding what to build, I'd observe her doing things like that to see if you really want to go to the trouble of making it adjustable.

If you are going to build a traditional desk with a stack of drawers on each side, one way to make it adjustable would be to build a set of boxes that fit under each drawer stack that maybe look like a baseboard molding. Leave them in storage for now, then when she gets bigger, lift the desk on top of them to raise it up.

Here's How I solved it

See if you can look at Woodsmith's index and find their desk. It is probably 15 years old or more. I made my granddaughter this desk when she was in Kindergarden or first grade. It fearures trestle legs that can be adjusted through a wide range. It will adjust for different size people as well as different uses. The top will tilt up for drafting or drawing and is large. There are only two drawers, but the plans include a roll-around single drawer file cabinet that fits under the desk. My Gd is a junior in college now; so she doesn't use it at home anymore, but her younger sister does. When hurricane Katrina damaged my son's detached office building and he had to establish an office inside the house, it was pressed into service there. I believe it is a great design.

By contrast I made my grandson a desk when he was starting school. It was Norm Abram's "Student Desk" Worked well, but no fixed size desk can accomodate a kindergardener and a 6' 4" highschool senior; so it gets little use now.

BTW the top surface is a pressure laminate (i.e. Formica) Held up well thru pait by numbers, fingernail polish, cosmetics, arts & crafts, etc.

I'll be glad to try to find a picture for you. The desk is 60 miles away; so I can't take a picture, but I may be able to find one. I'll be glad to lend you the Woodsmith issue that gives very detailed plans and instructions. Let me know.
    Last edited by Carl Eyman; 06-27-2006 at 11:08 AM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Blog Entries

Here's one

I made this one for my granddaughter about 5 years ago. She is still using it as is her brother
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Given her current stature, something with adjustable height would preserve longevity without requiring a "tall chair" at present. I'm finding this to be a situation with our six year old in many cases.

One thing you didn't mention was whether you wanted something that is just a surface (nice for younger kids 'cause they can also play UNDER it) or something with storage.
    What we may do is buy a chair and I'll fit a desk to it. Something with a file-cabinet-like storage may work. My wife wants flutes and turned legs and fancy scroll-work but all that is a bit much for me. I can handle the flutes and some tapered legs might be nice but I don't wanna turn anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    If your 4.5 year old is like my 4.5 year old, I would look at something other than painted wood for the top surface. Think washable. Even better, washable with solvent that removes permanent marker.

Along the lines of what Jim was saying, my daughter won't sit on her butt for more than a minute or two and then she's up on her knees. I expect that will stay that way until she gets a tall enough that that is uncomfortable for her. When she uses the computer or colors at the kitchen table she doesn't have any problems with the surface height. Before deciding what to build, I'd observe her doing things like that to see if you really want to go to the trouble of making it adjustable.

If you are going to build a traditional desk with a stack of drawers on each side, one way to make it adjustable would be to build a set of boxes that fit under each drawer stack that maybe look like a baseboard molding. Leave them in storage for now, then when she gets bigger, lift the desk on top of them to raise it up.
    Thanks, Matt, you've given me some ideas to chew on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Eyman
    See if you can look at Woodsmith's index and find their desk. It is probably 15 years old or more. I made my granddaughter this desk when she was in Kindergarden or first grade. It fearures trestle legs that can be adjusted through a wide range. It will adjust for different size people as well as different uses. The top will tilt up for drafting or drawing and is large. There are only two drawers, but the plans include a roll-around single drawer file cabinet that fits under the desk. My Gd is a junior in college now; so she doesn't use it at home anymore, but her younger sister does. When hurricane Katrina damaged my son's detached office building and he had to establish an office inside the house, it was pressed into service there. I believe it is a great design.

By contrast I made my grandson a desk when he was starting school. It was Norm Abram's "Student Desk" Worked well, but no fixed size desk can accomodate a kindergardener and a 6' 4" highschool senior; so it gets little use now.

BTW the top surface is a pressure laminate (i.e. Formica) Held up well thru pait by numbers, fingernail polish, cosmetics, arts & crafts, etc.

I'll be glad to try to find a picture for you. The desk is 60 miles away; so I can't take a picture, but I may be able to find one. I'll be glad to lend you the Woodsmith issue that gives very detailed plans and instructions. Let me know.
    Carl,

If you wouldn't mind digging that up for me, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer
    I made this one for my granddaughter about 5 years ago. She is still using it as is her brother
    Lee,

I had something like that in mind but it is looking like my wife wants something way fancier. I do like the lifting lid.

Keep the ideas coming, Folks!

Chris,

I posted a design attempt much like Lee's desk in the design form, but for 2 grand kids. Look for Kids activity desk.

Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Rogers
    Chris,

I posted a design attempt much like Lee's desk in the design form, but for 2 grand kids. Look for Kids activity desk.

Floyd
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=37588

Floyd,

I found it but I guess I need SU installed to see it?

sketchup

You can download it for free. Then you can view or design your own.
    http://sketchup.google.com/

Floyd

Pictures of Desk Mentioned Above

I'll try to post pictures of the desk I made from Woodsmith. One a picture of what I made in oak with a tannish stain - not dark- and a leather pattern Formica top. The other is a picture of Woodsmith's issue #31 cover which first presented the desk. I'll lend you the issue if you want. (I imagine it's out of print.

Note the pedestals with sliding dovetails and a pin to fix height. My desk is adjusted almost at lowest height while cover picture shows it at a more adult height.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Carl Eyman; 06-28-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    18th century nut --- Carl

If you want a desk that will last all through childhood into college consider David Marks mission style writing desk. It is a very simple desgin with small drawers.

You can modify it as you please making it out of whatever wood you need.

The top could be modified so that you have a center section of laminated plywood surrounded by wood edging (like a picture frame).

Clear finished maple might match existing white furniture well enough, thus avoiding the issue of painting it and in later years stripping and repainting it due to wear and tear.

He calls it an Arts and Crafts Library Desk:

http://www.djmarks.com/woodworks/204.asp
    Tage Frid: The easiest thing in the world is to make mistakes.

Thanks for the Marks' pointer...I don't beleive I've seen that episode or have it on my DVR but I shall check!

Update: I found it stored nice and safely on my DVR!!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 06-29-2006 at 4:14 PM.