Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expert Help Needed On This One - Please!

Expert Help Needed On This One - Please!

I think I'm in a bit over my head and need some direction. I really don't want to mess this oak up but I've not seen anything quite like this before. Before I hollow it is there anything I should do? I've gotton as close in the photos as I can so you can hopefully see what I see. Anyone who has turned this kind of stuff before, I would welcome some advice. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

The best advice I can give you is to pack it in plastic wrap, carefully wrap it in bubble wrap and box it up for shipment to me.....I will study it carefully and see what I can turn from it.....Of course if I make a mess of it I will just add it to my collection.

Seriously, what are you going to turn from it? a vase, a bowl or a hollow form? I don't do hollowforms so I can't help you there.... If it is to be a bowl or vase then it is just a matter of turning it carefully. Establish your finished thickness at the top early and don't keep going back to it or you will encounter chatter. Sand and finish as you usually do. A spectacular piece of wood......
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Lets give this a try---if I am seeing this right---there is a lot of tear out--sevreal very soft spots--bark inclusions----is this correct??????
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

I would have finished the top 1/3 inside and out, then the center and then the bottom. Particularly with the inclusions in that piece. It is beautiful. The only problem I see is the bottom is so small and appearantly fragile that turning now will be difficult.
    I hope you are successfull,
    Jim

Looks to me like your ready to roll on that piece!
    Looks can be deceiving on a burl, looks pretty solid to me. I turned a piece similar to this one that Dick Parr gave me to turn. It was very dry and hard, I turned a tall bowl with it close to your shape. and gave him the finished product maybe he will post a pic of it for you as I didn't have time to snap any shots.
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 06-30-2006 at 11:47 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

The one question I have is are you using a chuck that requires a dovetailed tenon that severe or at all? Also, make sure it's not too long to allow the chuck to seat fully up against the "bottom" above the dovetail...you're going to need that support on the top of the jaws.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max
    Lets give this a try---if I am seeing this right---there is a lot of tear out--sevreal very soft spots--bark inclusions----is this correct??????
    Yes there is tearout but not very much is soft. Some of the dark areas seem a bit softer than the light areas but not what I'd call soft, at least not like I've had before. Some of the tearout seems to go pretty deep as well.

Christopher,

For the soft spot you could always hit it with some CA to strengthen it. One thing that I notice is it apears that your tenon is too long, at least that is how it looks in the picture. I believe you want to have your jaws tight against the bottom of the piece rather than having the tennon bottomed out in your chuck. Of course it depends on what chuck you have. I have a supernova 2 and it definately looks too long for my chuck.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The one question I have is are you using a chuck that requires a dovetailed tenon that severe or at all? Also, make sure it's not too long to allow the chuck to seat fully up against the "bottom" above the dovetail...you're going to need that support on the top of the jaws.
    Jim, are you saying that the jaws should be resting against the work? This tenon is very similar to the way I cut most of my tenons, maybe not quite this long but seldom does the edge of the jaw ride the work. I'm using a Griz and have had no holding problems. That said, I'm willing to cut it shorter as I have not turned a piece this top heavy before. I was planning to hollow it with my tail stock in place until I got about 2/3rds in and then cut out the center support piece. I was wondering if you guys fill anything before turning or should I just begin hollowing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis O. Seebeck
    Christopher,

For the soft spot you could always hit it with some CA to strengthen it. One thing that I notice is it apears that your tenon is too long, at least that is how it looks in the picture. I believe you want to have your jaws tight against the bottom of the piece rather than having the tennon bottomed out in your chuck. Of course it depends on what chuck you have. I have a supernova 2 and it definately looks too long for my chuck.
    I try never to bottom out a tenon in my chuck even when the tenon is a bit longer. I will shorten it some though. Do you use the super thin CA to soak in deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Looks to me like your ready to roll on that piece!
    Looks can be deceiving on a burl, looks pretty solid to me. I turned a piece simmalar to this one that Dick Parr gave me to turn. It was very dry and hard, I turned a tall bowl with it close to your shape. and gave him the finished product maybe he will post a pic of it for you as I didnt have time to snap any shots.
    Thanks Jim. What do you suggest to finish something like this?

Chris..........for sure...you don't want the bottom of that tenon to make contact with the chuck where the jaws attach or with the jaws themselves! You want the outer edge of the jaws to make contact with a nice flat shoulder on the bowl to provide support to the tenon and help carry some of the load.

Good luck with it! It's a beautiful piece of wood and I hope it turns well!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Chris..........for sure...you don't want the bottom of that tenon to make contact with the chuck where the jaws attach or with the jaws themselves! You want the outer edge of the jaws to make contact with a nice flat shoulder on the bowl to provide support to the tenon and help carry some of the load.

Good luck with it! It's a beautiful piece of wood and I hope it turns well!
    Got it thanks

Christopher when I get some soft spots in my wood I use the old epoxy cocktail. Mix up some 5 minute epoxy and then add DNA till it is the consistancy of milk. Paint it on until no more will soak in. Then I let it dry over night. Works nice for me. Christopher you got a nice looking piece of wood. I think it will finish out fine. Can't wait to see some pic's of it when you finished it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Chris,

I think you may have the right idea with leaving the tailstock in place and doing the majority of roughing with a center support. Is the tenon portion of the piece punky? Does it have play in the chuck jaws where it the jaws touch the wood? If so, you may have some trouble once you start hollowing. Leave the center in as long as possible and cut the rim to thickness in stages about an inch at a time and you'll be fine. Sharp tools and sharp eyes on the piece if it starts wobbling the wrong way or doesn't sound right, get out of the way.

Good luck.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill