Thread: Sorby fingernail grind jig ???

Sorby fingernail grind jig ???

Does anyone have experience with this setup?
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...urrency=2&SID=

I know that the wolverine setup is prefered by many people but I have a gift certificate for Lee Valley burning a hole in my pocket. I could pay the $17 difference & have sharp gouges now or I can save up the $150 or so to by the wolverine setup with the gouge jig.
    There are a few other things I could get with the certificate - but sharpening is one of my biggest challenges right now so if this setup works well I'm going to go for it.

Any thoughts?
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Hi Tom

That's the jig I have been using for the past 5 1/2 years. It works great for me. The part that the gouge attaches to is the same jig used for the tokmek sans base. If you notice the base is made of round parts which are easly duplicated on the lathe. In fact with the tormek jig all you need to fashion is a rod to put the jig on. I mention this because the Tormek jig is $55!

There is a "thing" inside the place where the gouge goes which permits sharpening gouges from 1/4" spindle gouges up to 1" wide gouges.

I notice that Lee Valley doesn't carry the Tormek.

I find the sorby jig to be easy and quick to use with a very short learnig curve. I use the Oneway jig when I teach class and I find it to be slightly more difficult to use and a sligly greater risk of injury.

Thanks
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

If Wolverine is in your future......

I have the Wolverine, love it, would buy it again.

Highland hardware and others (Woodcraft etc) sell the system and one of the best accessories is the Vari Grind attachment. Similar to both of those mentioned, but $47.99.

I would buy it and rig up a board or some other thing to place the tail in until I bought the Wolerine grinding jig for $79.99 more. I don't yet have the skew attachment $24.99. Maybe soon I will, but a wooden one works.

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com...5&1=216&3=1455