Thread: Free oak in Beloit WI

Free oak in Beloit WI

The term "Putz" comes to mind

Or, to quote a friend, That's a gert dollop ploppies.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

The town of Belvidere, NJ has a simular sized oak, which is a prized tree in the town. This one is located with 1/2 of the trunk in the street. The tree has been hit by cars several times and they won't even consider discussions about cutting it down.

Chet Parks

It's a real example of a brain dead bureacracy. Spend a lot of municipal money to destroy something that could have been a money making proposition, not to mention what could have been gained from the situation if they were dead set on getting rid of it. I'm sure a simple newspaper story would have brought sawyers out of the wood work, so to speak, to harvest some of that.

I see this mindset a lot in my town, although this is an extreme case. It seems that folks these days don't appreciate the appearance and benefit of trees in a suburban setting. All you need to do is use the magic words of 'safety' and 'children' in a sentence, and then you can pretty much do anything you want anyway you want.

I'm certain something could have been done in the way of traffic controls, but I guess a 300 year old tree isn't worth it to most folks. I'm not sure if a new endtable in someone's living room will bring much comfort to the tree's owner as she looks out her window now.
    -Jeff