Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!

Making some zero clearance inserts yesterday for Lazarus (Unisaw I just restored). Had the blade off fitting in the throat plate with some maple. Got everything like I wanted so I mounted the blade and proceeded to cut the slot by raising the blade into the insert. Noticed some smoke and didn't think to much about it. By the time I got the saw to pierce through the maple I noticed a lot of smoke. Thoughts of a fried motor ran through my head but the smell was wrong. Shut her down and started looking for the problem......

Blade really cuts better when you don't put it on backwards.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

YUP!

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Been there....Done that......Don't want the tee-shirt!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Been there done that!

Nothing like to blade mounted backwards to make ya feel a idiot!
    How many times must I redo it to get it correct??

LOL!! And I was almost thinking that it was new motor time... ...but I did make that same mistake on a bandsaw a few years ago!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I toasted an almost new 3/4" 4-flute endmill when I flipped the switch the wrong way.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I understand totally. Dad always said the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

That point is probably "burned" into your memory now. I know it is in mine. Dick B.

I haven't quite graduated to that level yet, but with due diligence, my time will come!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Jealousy?

Hey Jeff,
    Sounds like some folks are raggin' on ya here! The fact is, ANYONE can make a good cut with the blade mounted according to recognized practices.

It takes a real PRO to make cuts with the blade mounted like you and I do!! We are just ahead of our time and it is doubtful that the rest of these "rookies" will EVER catch up with us!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    It takes a real PRO to make cuts with the blade mounted like you and I do!! We are just ahead of our time and it is doubtful that the rest of these "rookies" will EVER catch up with us!

Dale T.
    Hey I got the slot cut...well burn all the way through too! Bet no else can say that!

And it's amazing at how much smoke can be stored inside a cabinet saw before it finds it way out into the shop.

Well, at least you got 'er done, right? Reminds of years ago when I used to install flooring for a living. We were doing a big job at one of the universities. Direct glue-down carpet in a bunch of offices and practice rooms (Music Dept.). We had hired a kid to help and got him setup with the Milwaukee hammer drill, some 1/8" masonry bits and a bunch of "metals" to hammer down in the doorways. He came over to where we were working about an hour into it. He asked if we had some more bits. My lead guy said, "Wow! You must be 'bout done with all the doorways then." The kid said he was still on his first one but, "...That concrete is some real tough stuff. I burned through all six of the bits already!" Huh???? Yeah, you guessed it: Had the drill in "reverse" the whole time!!! Had him cleaning up, hauling material in and garbage out for the rest of the job!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Don't feel bad, Jeff. I did the same thing with my circular saw a couple of years ago!
    Sam/Atlanta

Blades cut alum. siding great that way.
    Mike

that's why my sig line is my life's ambition.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.